cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing direct debit to credit card not possible?

FIXED
sammael
Hooked

Changing direct debit to credit card not possible?

Hi,

I just got new credit card. I've got a plusnet broadband + 2 sims I pay via direct debit from my debit card and I wanted to swap them to the credit card. I rang plusnet broadband support, they registered the credit card and said the direct debit been swapped to it no problem.

Then I rang plusnet mobile support trying to do the same for my 2 sims and they tell me I can only set up direct debit on a debit card, but I just literally set it up on credit card for broadband  5 minutes ago so why is it the same not possible for the mobile direct debits?

8 REPLIES 8
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Changing direct debit to credit card not possible?

I believe the systems for mobile and broadband are very different. It also may be in the mobile terms and conditions that you’d need an active direct debit at all times. 

sammael
Hooked

I understand that might be the case, but I'd like a clear answer or a link where I can read it in the terms. It's just the lady on the support line was sounding very unsure and had to consult with her boss after which she sounded even more unsure and after it went without a hitch for broadband I expected the same for Mobile.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

@sammael look here https://www.plus.net/mobile , click the 'Here's the legal bit' at the bottom of the page

The relevant words are:-

Billing
  • Payment by Direct Debit only. Paper-free billing applies (paper bills are available for £10 per bill).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sammael
Hooked

I'm sorry, but I do not really think that answers my question. It just says the payment needs to me made via direct debit, but it does not stipulate the direct debit does need to come out of debit card. The same section on broadband contract says literally the same plus stipulates payments via debit or credit card on top, but not in relation to the direct debit. It says you can pay broadband via direct debit, debit card or credit card. I am paying it by direct debit, which is being deduced from my credit card and I want the same for my sims.

From some googling around it would appear the company has a right to only accept direct debit charged to a debit card, however that one sentence in the mobile legal mumbo jumbo you linked does not say that, it says that I can only pay via direct debit, which is what I'm already doing, I just want to change the card it's coming out of and while the customer support claims I can only charge the DD on the debit card, this is not what I'm reading in the terms.

In the end I do not really care where 10£ a month come out of, but the whole point of getting the credit card was to consolidate small insignificant payments like this into a lump monthly payment.

I'm willing to be educated in these matters, but from my comprehension of the situation, there is nothing different in the mobile terms to the broadband terms in relation to where the DD is charged to.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro

I think that when the mobile terms say you can only pay by direct debit it means just that and as you’ve found out by calling up there’s no other way to add an ongoing payment method.

Also there’s no way you can setup a direct debit via a credit card, it’s simply not possible, at least for the bank I’m with, NatWest.

sammael
Hooked

Edit:

I just understood what's going on

The broadband support person told me they changed the DD to charge the credit card, but what they did is they changed the DD to a payment by credit card, leaving me thinking I can pay DD with credit card...

sammael
Hooked

So I think what's happened is the support person told me they changed the DD to charge my credit, but what they did in fact was change the payment method from DD to credit card leaving me believing I can pay DD with credit card...

Thrall
Seasoned Pro

From what you’ve said. You’ve changed your payment method on your broadband account to credit card but for your mobile account it simply can’t be changed from direct debit.