Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing contract online does NOT show "Mates Rates"

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Changing contract online does NOT show "Mates Rates"

If I try and change my phone contract online, all I see is the "normal" rate, and NOT the "Mates Rate"... so for example, the entry level is currently 2 gig for £6, and on "mates rate" you get 4 gig for £6..... but doing an online change, all I see is the 2 gig for £6.

So how can I change my contract online and get the "mates rates"... or do I need to phone sales?

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Changing contract online does NOT show "Mates Rates"

Good morning  paul_blitz

I would call 500 from your PlusNet mobile

Then press 1

Then 3 for you are thinking of leaving you get answered straight away

Do some research on USwitch sim only to find a deal with another company you would be happy with

Advise the PlusNet staff member whats on offer and I'm sure they will find you a very good deal as they have many plans that are not shown on the web

I rang earlier this week after receiving the email about the price increase and received a brilliant deal    

HD

LindaN

I recently changed from 02 to the Mates Rates deal.  Horrified to receive a message from Plus Net this morning to say I had already gone over my allowance despite hardly any usage.  When I phoned to ask why I was told that a text message over 150 characters (around 20  - 25 words) or if it contains an emoji it counts as a picture message and isn't included in the package..  You might want to look elsewhere  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome  LindaN to the community,

What allowance are you are about 

Do you mean the Smart Cap I have mine set to zero so no unexpected charges

Emoji's are not charged 

HD

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

When I phoned to ask why I was told that a text message over 150 characters (around 20  - 25 words) or if it contains an emoji it counts as a picture message and isn't included in the package..

@LindaN  long text messages or ones with emoji's in often get turned to MMS messages. MMS messages aren't included in your plan by a lot of providers (if not all!).

Two things to prevent this:-

1) there's usually a setting on the phone to prevent SMS being turned into MMS

2) remove the MMS settings from the APN settings on the phone, that will stop it sending MMS messages completely

Useful links

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it...

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varse...)

Post back if you need further help

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LindaN

Yes, sorry.  I meant the SmartCap.  I've been charged for 2 longer texts and one with an emoji.  I phoned customer services to ask why and they said that emojis and texts over 150 characters count as MMS not SMS so are charged

LindaN

Thank you.  I've done that now

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  

Do PlusNet normally charge for emoji's in a normal text message within your allowance ?

I have a zero SmartCap and can send emoji's for no charge

My daughter is with EE for her broadband and mobile and gets an extra 5GB data not 2GB she can use short text codes but is charged for emoji's

HD

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Anonymous Do PlusNet normally charge for emoji's in a normal text message within your allowance ?

No, its only charged if its converted to an MMS

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Anonymous, I can confirm it very much depends on the handset you're using and applications that could effect this also. Something sent such as ":-)" from one phone could then replace the text with the emoji image as other phones will solely keep it symbols but show an emoji in it's place keeping the message an SMS. As @MisterW pointed out, MMS messages can be disabled on the vast majority of handsets which should help remove any surprise charges cropping up when sending emjoi's.