cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card payment error when buying a new SIM only deal

slappybags
Dabbler

Card payment error when buying a new SIM only deal

I have tried to purchase a new SIM only deal multiple times and I always receive a card payment error. There are no issues with my card on any other website. I've contacted my bank and they confirm there is nothing wrong with the card.

My card is a normal Visa debit card.

All my details are definitely correct on the online form as I've filled it in over five times.

Is this a known problem?

Please note, I do not feel comfortable sharing my payment information via the phone.

35 REPLIES 35
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Re: Card payment error when buying a new SIM only deal

Hi @slappybags

Sorry to hear that you've had issues with purchasing a SIM deal online. Unfortunately, we haven't heard of any common issues regarding people being unable to pay online. Have you tried a different device at all to see if this fixes the issue?

Sadly the only alternative is to order via the phone. If you would like us to look at this for you, I can arrange a call back from one of our team.

slappybags
Dabbler

Hi @deank,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't think it's an error with my device as the payment always reaches my bank. The money is held for a few days and is then returned. This has happened several times.

I think it's similar to these issues:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Tried-3-times-to-order-a-SIM-30-out-of-pocket-and-no-SIM/m-p/15...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Credit-card-payment-error/m-p/1486262

Thanks for the offer, but I have to say if there isn't a secure way to pay online, then I would prefer not to.

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi @slappybags,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you have encountered. 

When you are attempting to process this does it provide an order number to yourself?

If so can you please provide this via PM?

Thank you.

slappybags
Dabbler

Hi @OllieC,

There is no order number displayed to me. After I enter in my card details, I then get taken to a page saying "Card payment error", with a message about there is an issue with "our" card payment services at the moment.

Please note, I still am not experiencing any issues with my card using any other website or shop. My bank has confirmed all my details are correct, my address is correct, and that the card is working fine. I have tried other cards and have encountered the same error. My bank is still receiving notifications for these failed payments which are then retracted several days later. It cannot possibly be an issue with my device, my card, or my bank, and it really seems like an error with the Plusnet payment system.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @slappybags,

I am sorry that this is the case and can only apologise for the frustration caused. Have you tried clearing the cache and cookies from the browser you are using when trying to sign up?

readyweb

I've just had the same problem. I tried 3 times, the last time with a different card. Wha't annoying is that the "go back to the previous page" button returns you to the very start of the signup process which means you have to fill in all your details again.

What's the problem with just allowing you to enter your card details again!

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @readyweb, I am sorry for the inconvenience. Did trying an alternative card work for you?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
slappybags
Dabbler

Hi @Mads and @LaurenB,

Thank you for your replies. If you check I have already confirmed that I have tried more than one card with the same result, and that I doubt there is any issue with my device (including browser cache or cookies) as the payment request IS reaching my bank. It seems unlikely I am experiencing an issue with my device if my bank does receive the details of the payment request.

It is also incredibly frustrating that I have been told repeatedly here, on the phone, and in support tickets that this issue is new and has never been reported before. As I have already pointed out, other users are clearly experiencing this problem. Please can you escalate this issue?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, sorry to see that this is still an issue. As this continues to be a problem it would be best to give our sales team a call so we can go through the sign up process on your behalf: 0800 432 0200. - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
slappybags
Dabbler

Hi @adamwalker,

Thanks for your reply.

As I've already said, I'd much prefer to be able pay online and (considering the extensive billing issues I've had with the Plusnet broadband services) this experience doesn't instil much confidence.

I'm aware of the phone solution and I have called previously, however I would still like to report this issue. The "just use the phone" answer seems to be used instead of actually resolving the problem and I would prefer to know the issue is at least being investigated.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hello @slappybags,

While we are aware of the issues that you are experiencing and we are working to resolve them, phoning our team is the alternative at the moment I'm afraid.

slappybags
Dabbler

Hi @Mads,

I appreciate the response. I understand that phoning your team is an alternative option and is being offered as a solution. Unless I'm missing something though, I don't think any of the staff replies have indicated that the issue is actually being worked on. The replies so far have been diagnosing this as a browser issue, suggesting I use another card, or contact by phone instead. Please understand, based on the replies so far, it's not clear to me that this issue is being investigated. Please let me know if I'm missing a response or if I haven't read a reply clearly.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for your quick reply.

As I mentioned above we are working on this, we currently do not have a fix date at the moment. While I understand you wish for a further elaboration on what is happening this I cannot confirm anything else at the moment.

Do let us know how you get on with our phone team if you do go ahead with this.

port

Problem still occurring! Contacted plusnet chat but they just don't care! This error has clearly been occurring for many customers over many months. Yet plusnet has done nothing! Thought they were supposed to be "doing us proud"?!!!!!!!!