cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant send texts to +44 numbers

Bangorsteve
Hooked

Cant send texts to +44 numbers

Hello. Recently ported to plusnet. When I get a text it comes up +44 format. I can't reply to this, I have to type the number in a new text 077. . .

I have an American phone so duno if this is the issue but never had it with giffgaff.

Any help appreciated
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cant send texts to +44 numbers

Hi @Bangorsteve

Sorry to hear this! Is it possible to try the SIM in another handset at all, as this would determine whether it's an error with the phone or the SIM you're using. 

If the SIM is fine whilst in another device, you may need to fiddle with the settings of your current handset; or contact the manufacturer for further guidance! 

Let us know how you get on and please don't hesitate to send one of our Plusnet Mobile colleagues via the Forum a private message if you need to discuss your account in greater detail. -Ashleigh

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

@Bangorsteve If you're using the built in Android messaging app (presuming it is Android) then go to the apps settings and scroll down to 'Text (SMS) Messages' and check the 'Service Center' number.

If it's a different app you'll maybe have to check for similar.

Bangorsteve
Hooked

Thanks for the replies. I cant seem to find the service centre number under text settings? there's just no option for it so this may be the issue.

Colin_Maybe
Pro

@Bangorsteve What is your phone? Android or iOS? What's the version of OS you're running? Which sms app are you using? Have you tried a different sms app? I'd recommend Textra myself.

Bangorsteve
Hooked

Phone is android lollipop on an unlocked samsung s4. It had a giffgaff sim before.
I can't find messaging centre?
Bangorsteve
Hooked

Sorry its the origional android sms app.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Bangorsteve

I wonder if this is the issue ? http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-samsung-galaxy-s4/311800-problem-sms-galaxy-s4-internationa...

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Colin_Maybe
Pro

If you're using the stock app (a green rectangle with a smiley) then the 'Service Center' number on mine is +447870******

So it's messaging app>settings and scroll down to 'Text (SMS) Messages', it'll allow me to edit the number so you should be able to.

I had a look at the site that spendlesstime mentioned and my Vodafone SU6 on 5.1.1 doesn't have that option although yours may be different.

@Bangorsteve

Bangorsteve
Hooked

I can't see where the message centre number is? Attached a pic incase I missing it.

Does seem to be a thing with s4's. I checked the call settings and it was set to usa so I changed it to uk. Still no difference though.

Looks like I'll have to live with it. Sad
Bangorsteve
Hooked

I followed spendlesstime's link again and tried to alter the call settings for county again buy it won't let me in? Button isn't greyed but still does nothing
Bangorsteve
Hooked

Just added the + before the 44 but still can't text +44 numbers. Sad
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Bangorsteve

Some people using S4's originally from Verizon (USA), found that they had to root the phone and then load an APP to change the SMS message centre number. No idea if this is the fix for you though or if it will work or if it would just damage your phone. https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/41y54l/verizon_samsung_galaxy_s4_to_tmobile/  (Note this is USA TMobile not the UK company)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Colin_Maybe
Pro

Sorry @Bangorsteve, I appear to have 4 different options for SMS's and the one I was looking at is different from your pic.

Have you tried a different SMS client?

Bangorsteve
Hooked

Hi again. Yes I tried messenger 4.4 and still the same unfortunately. Sad I'll just leave rooting my phone as I would know what I was doing. Thanks for all ur efforts