cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant receive phone calls while on LTE

scottrc
Rising Star

Cant receive phone calls while on LTE

Whenever my phone connects to LTE, I can't receive phone calls, at least not all the time.

My understanding is that my phone has to switch back to 3g or 2g to receive the call. It doesn't seem to be doing that, or at least not fast enough and then the call goes to voicemail.

I can still receive texts fine. I can also dial out fine (although there is a big delay when doing so while it switches to 3g or 2g to make the call)

At the moment the only way to avoid it is to force my phone to only use 2g/3g.
11 REPLIES 11
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Cant receive phone calls while on LTE

Hi scottrc!

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

From what you have advised, it's a strong possibility that the 4G signal quality in your area is not strong enough for calls to be received on a 4G frequency. You can pop over to http://ee.co.uk/why-ee/mobile-coverage and check your 2G/3G and 4G coverage in your postcode area. 

There are numerous different factors that could affect the signal strength within the area for example, tree cover, weather conditions, how many people are using the network and where the closest EE mast is positioned. It could be a possibility that there is an issue within your postcode area and from the coverage checker above, you can click on status checker and also check for this. If this is an issue only inside your home, we can't always guarantee perfect signal indoors due to the density of building materials.

You can always give your handset a re-boot. You can do this by:

• Turning the handset off
  • Taking the SIM card out
  • Leaving it for a couple of minutes
  • Replacing the SIM card
  • Turning the handset back on

This will refresh the signal to the SIM card and any changes made will be applied. 

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask away and I'll do my best to help!

- Rebeka Smiley

scottrc
Rising Star

Hi, I thought Plusnet did not support calling over 4G? (VoLTE) https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Voice-over-LTE/td-p/1390511

My 4G signal is really strong, I get full bars indoors. The problem is when I call myself, it does not switch back to 3G/2G to connect the call, sometimes it tries to but it takes so long to switch that the call gets forwarded to voice mail. 

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,

That link is correct, I'm afraid we don't support VoLTE (voice over LTE. We do use the EE network however, we don't support certain functionalities.

Have you tried adjusting the settings on your handset?

It maybe that it is set to connect to 4G only, therefore, the call won't connect unless on a 4G network continuously. You should be able to change this to connect to any frequency that is available by editing your handset settings. 

- Rebeka 

scottrc
Rising Star

I did try the settings but I have "Preferred network type", with the options 3G and LTE. 

The weird thing is this problem has not always happened, when I first put the sim in calls came through ok, LTE switched back to 3G fine. It was only after the first call that things stopped working. If I try to ring myself, I can see the signal try changing from LTE to 3G/2G in the navigation bar, but it just doesn't do it fast enough and the call must be rejected.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Have you checked the current status of your postcode area?

Just to rule out any issues with the network itself. 

- Rebeka 

scottrc
Rising Star

Just checked and it says no known problems. 

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Can you please input the following code into your handsets dial pad and tap the call button. 

• #21#

Following this, can you check to make sure the VoLTE option is disabled on the handset.

thanks,

- Rebeka 

Patryqo

Hi. Exactly same problem I have on both my numbers recently ported to plusnet. For example at home the 4g signal is excellent - full bars, the nearest ee mast is a less than a half mile in the straight line. But when I try to call to myself from one phone to another I do get message I am temporary unavailable on one number or it goes straight to voicemail on other number. I can see the phone switching itself to 3g when I trying to call on to but it's look like is to slow. If I quickly call again while the phone is still in 3g the call come in. If it switch back to 4g, then no call goes through... In my phone settings I can choose network type prority: 3g or 4g (recommended). If I choose 3g, calls always reach me. If I choose 4g then as I described above...
Both my phones are motorola moto g lte 1gen. One on android 5.1 and one on android 4.4. On old network never experienced anything like that.
I did reseted the phones with no results. I did #21# and again no results... Also one of my number direct to voicemail but the other one no...
Making calls is never a problem because on dialing, the phone switch to 3g itself. Just the incoming calls are problem.
I don't really know what is going on but would like to have this resolved asap.
Regards Pat
Patryqo

With information from this forum I have sorted the voicemail issue on one of the numbers I have. But I would like to get the 4g incomming calls issue sorted out. I do like to use 4g and I do like the 4g signal range in plusnet. This was one of the main reason to move here. But it's pointless if I have to keep my phone in 3g settings to be reachable by calls! I feel now like backing 3 years in time before I had 4g phone...
Plusnet please get sort this out. As I am sure this is a network issue but it does look like no one have a clue how to resolve this.
scottrc
Rising Star

What I've found is the issue is caused by low 3g signal. So the phone goes from 4g and tries to switch to 3g to get the incoming call. If the 3g signal is choppy, it won't do it in time and the call fails.

The problem is so many masts are switching to 4g that 3g signal is getting rubbish, at least in my area.

Plusnet needs to pay EE the license fee to enable Plusnet mobile customers use of the EE 4G voice calls. EE customers already get this. If they can't do this, then they need to improve their mast technology to speed up band switching.
Patryqo

Thanks for answer.
You may have right about the poor 3g signal.

But to have voice over lte I would need to upgrade the phone anyway. But I don't want spend money if I am happy with the one I have now.
I just want to have same functioning service as I had with Tesco. I never had any problem with 4g and missed incoming call's with Tesco. So It's any chance this would be resolved here or we have to live with or leave it?