cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot call a specific landline number from mobile...??

FIXED
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Cannot call a specific landline number from mobile...??

Leave this with me - I'm going to try to get the number tested via an EE mobile device

From the empirical evidence it does appear to be a routing issue from the EE network. I've seen similar issues with call routing to mobiles when they've been ported to other networks and I understand how that can happen.

I must admit I don't understand how call routing works on the PSTN when the number is on an LLU network, something somewhere must know to route the call at some point to the LLU operators equipment, where that is done I have no idea...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @terrapin

Thanks for your patience whilst I investigated this - I've replicated the issue with one of our EE sims.

Could you please provide me with three examples of time/date when you've tried to contact the number concerned? (I have the number and everything else relevant, just need the timestamps). If you could provide (or create) examples that are at least 2 hours apart that would be great.

Once we have this information, we'll raise this to our network team to investigate further.

Best wishes

Dave

terrapin
Dabbler

@RandallFlagg

Thanks for taking this issue seriously and carrying out the very basic trouble shooting step of attempting to replicate the problem. I have no idea what your colleagues have done to investigate this issue?? Probably nothing.

I am not quite sure why you require time stamps, as I am unable to make call to the problematic number at any time, as you have discovered for yourself, but I shall indulge you:

13 November @ 23.11

12 November @ 16.27

09 November @ 11.02

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @terrapin

Thank you for providing us with the dates and times you have experienced the issue. 

I have raised this to our Mobile Operations team to investigate the issue. They should get back to us within 5 working days at which point I'll update you accordingly.

We appreciate your continued patience. Should you do need further assistance in the meantime, please feel free to ask.

Best wishes.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @terrapin

While we don't have the cause of the problem yet, I've been looking into this and I've too been able to replicate this from my Plusnet Mobile SIM. Oddly, the number works when calling from a landline phone handset.

I've chased this up with our Ops guys for further investigation. I suspect it'll either be a problem on the EE network, a problem with the receiving handset maybe they've got a blocker like Call Guardian, or perhaps an issue with their phone provider.

We'll update you when we know more though.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
terrapin
Dabbler

@Gandalf

I am sure the problem is with the EE network. I am currently in the USA and connected to the T-Mobile network and I can now call the problematic number without issue.

I totally reject the suggestion that the problem could be with the receiving handset using a blocker like Call Guardian or an issue with their phone provider. Given the evidence I have submitted, I would be interested how you could even attempt to substantiate those suggestions in a logical manner?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I understand this, but we need to cover all bases to avoid our suppliers rejecting what we send over.

As it stands, we need 3 examples to send over that's within the last 48 hours of where the phone number doesn't dial via two handsets. Since we're experiencing the issue too, I'll compile the examples myself tonight.

Will update this thread hopefully at the end of the week with something.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
terrapin
Dabbler

@Gandalf

Any update......?Huh

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Not yet I'm afraid, but I should have something by the end of next week but hopefully sooner.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Sorry for the delayed response. We’d essentially need more examples for this to be investigated. 

The examples need to be within the last 48 hours from when our suppliers receive them. 

Would you be able to PM me with 3 examples in the following format including the handset you’ve used?

Date: 

Time: 

Service Attempted: 

Phone Number (if applicable):  

Error that occurred: 

Post code: 

Ideally this needs to be done tomorrow or during the week next week. I’ll be ready to send over examples via my own handset tomorrow, so we should have something back on Monday/Tuesday, but if you could provide me with the examples too it’ll greatly help. 

Thanks.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
terrapin
Dabbler

@Anoush

I have supplied the information you have requested via PM.

I am not quite sure why you have requested more examples? I cannot connect to the problematic number anytime when connected to the EE network  as you have discovered for yourselves. Why are the examples you have generated yourself not sufficient? There is a problem with the network.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We don't need more examples at this time other than what I've got, but I thought it would be good to have more examples as a backup just in case our suppliers come back needing more.

Thank you for sending me the PM, I'll pass them over now and I'll update you when I hear back.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Just to update you even though we’ve nothing back yet. I can confirm our Ops guys sent this over to our suppliers on the 17/12/2018 for further investigation.
When we know more I’ll be sure to let you know.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I’ve received an update advising that our suppliers have been able to replicate the issue from landline phones, so it doesn’t seem to be an issue with the EE and/or Plusnet network.

However, they’ve created an incident (internal ref: INC129639) for them to investigate our side further nonetheless.

I’ll update when I know more.
terrapin
Dabbler

@Anoush

Thanks for update. Sorry, but I do not buy the response.

I can call the number in question from a non-EE network or from a regular landline without any problems, it''s just when I attempt to call the number from a mobile connected to the EE network that there is a problem.

So, when you were conducting your own testing, was there ever a problem calling the number in question from a landline? I suspect not.

When your suppliers say they have replicated the issue using a landline, what exactly does that mean? Do they experience the problem every time they make the call or just occasionally?

I think the suppliers are blowing smoke.