cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot call a specific landline number from mobile...??

FIXED
terrapin
Dabbler

Cannot call a specific landline number from mobile...??

I recently tried to make a call to a specific local landline number from my Plusnet mobile and when I make the call no connection is made, I don;t have a problem calling any other numbers. When I make the call I am connected to the EE Network. I can call this specific number from my landline and I have tried using other family members mobiles who have an account with 02 and there is no issue. I have tried call the number using another mobile registered on the EE network and that too will not connect.

I contacted Plusnet support and they insisted on sending me a new SIM to try before they would investigate any further, Of course, when the new SIM was used in my phone it made no difference, After contacting support again, they got back to me and suggested that the phone number I was trying to call had somehow accidentally blocked my number. I pointed out that as I had never successfully connected to the number from my mobile that was unlikely. I also reminded support that I had also attempted to call the number from another phone registered on the EE network and that too would not connect.

I was then told that the number I was attempting to call was probably rejecting calls made from the EE network. I suggested (and I might be wrong here?), but I didn't think it was possible that a phone line could discriminate the network source of an incoming call from a mobile phone?

Anyway.... that was as far as the Plusnet support would investigate the matter. Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on and why i cannot call a specific regular landline number from my PLusnet mobile?Huh

37 REPLIES 37
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Re: Cannot call a specific landline number from mobile...??

Hi @terrapin, I am sorry to hear about these issues you have been having trying to contact a specific number. If you could PM me you full name, account ref, full address with postcode and mobile number I can look into this for you.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@terrapin has the landline number you can't reach been transferred between BT and an LLU provider ( Sky/Talktalk) or Virgin media in the not too distant past ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

terrapin
Dabbler

@MisterW wrote:

@terrapin has the landline number you can't reach been transferred between BT and an LLU provider ( Sky/Talktalk) or Virgin media in the not too distant past ?

I'm not sure??? The number is a business number.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It sounds like a call routing issue to me. I'm not sure exactly how call routing from mobile networks to PSTN numbers work but I can imagine it's more involved when numbers have been migrated to/from BT.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @terrapin,

Are you able to connect to the number use any other phone? Did you also drop Mads your details via private message? If not, please drop them over to me and I'll chase this for you.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@deank from the OP's original post...

I have tried using other family members mobiles who have an account with 02 and there is no issue.

terrapin
Dabbler

@deank wrote:

Hi @terrapin,

Are you able to connect to the number use any other phone? Did you also drop Mads your details via private message? If not, please drop them over to me and I'll chase this for you.

Yes.... sent Mads details via private message.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Can you send me the details as well so we can investigate further?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
terrapin
Dabbler

Have sent you details via private message.

tx

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the PM.

I've looked into this and I can't see any particular reason why this is happening I'm afraid.

Out of curiosity what happens if they try to call your mobile? Do they also have the same issue

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
terrapin
Dabbler

When you say you have looked into the matter, what exactly have you done if you don't mind me asking?Huh

Have you actually called the number I provided from a Plusnet mobile to see if there was any issues? If you were successful in placing a call, what network provider were you connected to? The common denominator seems to be the EE network.

The number I cannot call from my Plusnet mobile is a  business and I do not know these people. I do not think it is appropriate for me to ask them to trouble shoot the problem.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm afraid it's not possible for us to test calling the number in question.

The reason we've asked is that the issue may well lie on their side rather than ours.

I'm afraid there's nothing further we can do at this stage

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
terrapin
Dabbler

Hello Matthew...

At the risk of sounding a bit negative, I am not quite sure why you bothered to get involved, as you appear to have done nothing to investigate the issue?Huh

In my original post I explained how I am not able to call the number in question from my Plusnet mobile or another EE mobile phone, however, I am able to call the number from my landline and an 02 mobile without issue. How would you explain that the problem lies with the other side rather than Plusnet given the information I have provided?

Why are you not able to call the number in question from the Plusnet mobile network so as to see if you can replicate the issue?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @terrapin,

Thanks for coming back to us - I can appreciate how this is frustrating.

Leave this with me - I'm going to try to get the number tested via an EE mobile device and come back to you - may take me a little time, but I'll come back to you by the end of the week either way.

Thanks for your patience.

Dave