cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling sim only accounts.

Auldjoan1

Cancelling sim only accounts.

My mother has a plusnet sim only account at £6 a month and upgraded to one at £6.50 a month that had four times the data. We tried to cancel old account phone but I didn’t get past Data protection rule as I spoke on behalf of my 82 year old mother the security code even though I am next of kin, My mother phoned again and this time around mid November she managed to cancel the £6 account. However this week we got a new bill saying we owed £6 and it was due to go out on 16 th January. My mother will cancel direct debit before then as we own nothing. We tried to cancel account a third time but again nobody will listen as my mum got confused and I accidentally gave the password. Again the call was unsuccessful quoting data protection act. If we had known how difficult it was at the beginning we would never have signed up. Now my mother is angry and thinking of cancelling Plusnet altogether and if awkward will take the matter further if necessary. Please could you solve ASAP.

7 REPLIES 7
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Cancelling sim only accounts.

Sorry to hear about yours and your mothers experience.

If you can PM me her account number or mobile number she had with us I'll be happy to look into this for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Auldjoan1

[Removed] Is my mother’s old number on £6 a month.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for that, ideally I'd need to speak with your mother regarding this. 

Is there a good time for a call? Feel free to PM me the best contact number and time.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

For future reference, if I should become less able to understand complex phone contracts as I get older, is there a way to nominate another person who it's ok to deal with on our behalf?  

Mav
Fixes: 514

Not sure with the mobile side of things but with Plusnet Broadband you can nominate someone but that person is restricted in what they can do on your behalf e.g. they can't change contract details and so forth but can report faults. I am sure a member of staff will confirm this.

If you are worried about what will happen if you lose capacity, whether temporary or permanent, have you considered setting up a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA)?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

There is usually a period of a few years when one's getting too mentally tired for technical things or complex negotiations with suppliers, but before you have lost the capacity for decisions and don't want to hand over all responsibility, when it's nice to have someone help sort something out.  Or even for example when one of a couple is tied up on long hours at work and ask their spouse to deal with some negotiation.  Not just plusnet but all sorts of transactions, when it would be nice if there was an accepted way to nominate a deputy.

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @IngeJones

In terms of discussing your Plusnet Mobile contract or any changes to your contract, only the account holder or a Lasting Power of Attorney has the authorisation to discuss this matter.

You can on the phone request the advisor to speak to a representative to relay the information to you. However, you will need to be present on the phone to agree to these changes.

I hope this information helps.

Many thanks.