Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelled My Mobile Account - Now What

FIXED
QuantumGuy
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Cancelled My Mobile Account - Now What

I had an £8 a month contract that I no longer needed so I contacted the help line by phone. I explained my reasons and they were very helpful explaining when the account would end and to leave my direct debit in place. This was about two months ago now. I can still log into my mobile account. I don't want to turn the phone back on in case it generates any charges and I want to cancel the direct debit. What happens to the account? If I ring the number it says phone not available but not sure if this is simple because it is turned off.

9 REPLIES 9
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Cancelled My Mobile Account - Now What

I'd cancel the D Debit authority at your bank to save money being taken, assuming you didn't sign up to long term contract '.
It's easy to transfer your number to a new provider I'd recommend, '1Pmobile, who like PN, use the EE Network.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

If the number has been disconnected then a transfer is no longer possible, it'd need to be done with a PAC.
Also cancelling the direct debit is risky, cancel it and they try and take a payment and you could end up with a mark on your credit score. Especially if final bill hasn't been calculated for whatever reason.
You can always try the DD guarantee to reclaim any incorrectly taken money.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"It's easy to transfer your number to a new provider I'd recommend, '1Pmobile, who like PN, use the EE Network."

They are good but there are drawbacks. £10 minimum top up and at 1p/Mb that is expensive for mobile data. It depends on how much data the o.p. uses.

Just to be a bit pedantic, a credit score is a figure made up by credit reference agencies and meaningless. It isn't even seen during a credit search. Credit history and any markers on  a credit file, yes, that is important.

QuantumGuy
Grafter

I don't want to transfer the number. I just want to know how to check the phone number has been cancelled so it's safe to delete my direct debit. And I want to know what happens to the mobile account itself once it no longer has a number attached to it.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi @QuantumGuy 

Drop me a private message with the following details and we’ll be happy to take a look. This information will pass our data protection checks.

+Your mobile number

+Your full name

+Your full address

+Are you the account holder?

+Your date of birth

+Last 2 digits of your bank account number

+Last 2 digits of your bank sort code

When private messaging me, please include a link to this thread as our staff private messages go through a centralised system internally so I might not actually personally message you back. Although just a few of us monitor our Community Forums so there’s a good chance I’ll pick it up. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
QuantumGuy
Grafter

Ok - PM sent

Please note this only concerns my mobile phone account - I have a broadband account as well and I am very happy with that!!

QuantumGuy
Grafter

Many thanks for your help

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): The fix has been changed to @Gandalf as per message #6.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem @QuantumGuy 

Let me know if there’s anything else you’d need help with Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet