cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't support Red Nose Day using mobile :-(

Angus1

Can't support Red Nose Day using mobile :-(

I was really annoyed when I tried to send £10 to Red Nose Day by following the instructions given out on practically every BBC programme for the past week or so - simply text Help to 70210 as I've been doing for years with other mobile companies, job done. But not with Plusnet Mobile it seems. I had to ring Customer Support to find out why the sms consistently couldn't be delivered. It was explained - not at all convincingly - why Plusnet didn't allow this sort of thing. I should have read the posts on this forum before trying to support a charity in this way. In fact I should have looked at this forum before moving to Plusnet from my previous carrier. I now wish I hadn't bothered. There must be a better way for Plusnet to handle this sort of issue without stopping their customers being able to support charities of their choice or being able to carry out everyday business transactions. Aarrgghh ...

7 REPLIES 7
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Can't support Red Nose Day using mobile :-(

You're right. There have been several times already this year when I've been unable to respond to a 'short' code. I can't understand why PlusNet don't support it, it can't be difficult or costly as every other operator seems to support it. It's often (like your example) difficult or impossible to do it any other way. Sadly although PlusNet seem to be quite keen to ask for input there's no sign that they're responding to customers' requests.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

If only there was other ways to donate...

http://www.rednoseday.com/frequently-asked-questions#donations

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Strange that the short code mentioned in the OP is not in the official FAQ or are short codes not as universal as some people like to think?
Susie_owl

Really disappointed to find this isn't an option on Plusnet.  Yes, there are other ways to donate, but how many donations will they, and other charities like Children in Need, miss out on because people can't be bothered to go through the website?  Not sure of Plusnet's reasons for not providing this service, but feel they should look again. 

Browni
Aspiring Hero

This thread on the O2 Community Forum has been up for less than a year and has around 10,000 views.

Does that help explain one of the reasons Plusnet doesn't support short code SMS?

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Nothing to do with it. It's not supported because BT don't want PN to take too much business from EE and thus reduce their overall revenue. It's a profit reason, nothing to do with customer benefits.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Browni
Aspiring Hero

Have you a credible source that backs up that statement @quelquod?