cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive text from one number (tried two phones)

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Can't receive text from one number (tried two phones)

Hi, I was hoping someone could help. I've got a few people on Plusnet mobile however on my mum's she can send a text to my brother, receive a call from my brother but when he replies or texts my mum, they don't come through.

We have gone through all settings we can find, he's not on screening in the settings but it can't be a phone issue or setting anyway as we put the sim card back in my mum's old phone and it's still doing the same.

It's only my brothers number where the texts he sends doesn't come through, he can call her, she can text him but when he sends a text, it doesn't come through.

It's not his phone either as he's good with things like that, it's a fairly new number (which she did get texts from previously) and if he texts me (I'm also Plusnet) it comes through perfectly fine.

Can anyone kindly help as this is quite frustrating, been trying to sort this for about an hour now and even switched phones so I'm guessing it must be a sim card setting or issue on my mum's number blocking his text messages only.

Thanks for kindly helping, I appreciate it
6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Can't receive text from one number (tried two phones)

It sounds like a 'split port'.

Did your brother port his number into PlusNet ?

and if he texts me (I'm also Plusnet) it comes through perfectly fine.

That's really confusing, but were your and your mothers numbers ported into PlusNet and originally issued by different carriers ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

My brother isn't on Plusnet but me and my mum are. We were on O2 ages ago which we ported our numbers to Plusnet however my brothers texts come through to me but not my mum.

He can call her and he can receive her texts but my mum doesn't receive his.

She receives everyone else texts fine and we've tried two phones with my mum's sim and same issue.

I don't know what else to suggest, his number isn't in screening or block list on the phones either but as I say it's just his texts that don't come through (he gets my mum's text).

Thank you so much for the kind reply 😊
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

My brother isn't on Plusnet but me and my mum are. We were on O2 ages ago which we ported our numbers to Plusnet however my brothers texts come through to me but not my mum.

Ah! so it could be a split port on your mum's phone. Can she receive texts from anyone else on the same network as your brother ?

To explain a little, when you port a number to a new network both the network that originally issued the number, and the new network, are involved. When a call or text is made to the ported number, it first goes to the original network which then routes it on to the new network. Porting involves exchanging of information across the losing network, the original network and the new network and is a largely manual operation involving exchanging of files. If something doesn't quite go right, then you can end up with a 'split port' where one of the networks involved hasn't got the correct information and doesn't know how to route the call or text.  Note that there's separate routing for calls and texts so it sort of makes sense that calls can work whereas texts won't.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

I see, thank you so much for that!

Yeah he's on O2 and other people on O2 text my mum fine, it's just weird cause I'm on Plusnet too and have no problem receiving his texts.

It's a fairly new number he's got but she was getting his texts before until recently when they just stopped coming through, I thought it might have been a phone issue but I put my mum's sim back in her old phone and the same issue is happening.

I don't really know what to do, thank you so much truly for being to kind to help 😊
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It's a fairly new number he's got but she was getting his texts before until recently when they just stopped coming through

That's even stranger, if she was getting them before from the same number then that sounds like something different.

If you're sure there's no blocking configured on the phone, I think you're going to have to contact support. They're likely to ask fro 3 instances of texts not working so that they can trace any problems.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, well we tried two handsets to make sure it wasn't the phone and same, thank you so much 😊