cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to the local mast but get a full signal

Derek_W

Can't connect to the local mast but get a full signal

An EE mast was built very close to my village and though I get a very strong signal I can't connect to it. I have a Xiaomi Redmi 4 and once I go a few miles I can connect automatically to 4G and make calls without making any changes. I've tried all sorts of settings with no success. I know the mast is operational as others in the village can use it.
Anyone got any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7
MichaelWilliams
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 15

Re: Can't connect to the local mast but get a full signal

Something is clearly amiss here, could you please report this outage to EE via the Network Status Checker? You'll then receive updates on any repairs being carried out. The Network Status Checker can be found at the following link: https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice

Derek_W

Thanks Michael. The site shows a fault but I think there's another problem. I don't know if it's a setting on my phone or perhaps my phone doesn't have the necessary band but as I said plenty others have been able to use the mast for the last few months.
japitts
Rising Star

I would not be in the slightest bit surprised if the new site has been brought online initially with only 4G800 coverage for testing purposes. Your phone can see the signal, but obviously isn't allowed to use it. Only EE & BT Mobile 4G calling customers will be able to use this.

Unless you're in a seriously remote part of Cumbria or Scotland (where it could be 4G800-only) I'm sure other frequency bands will come online over time.

Edit: I've just checked the frequency specs for the Xiaomi Redmi 4 and it doesn't seem to have Band 20, so that rubbishes my theory. I'd certainly want to know whether the other people you say can use this site, are "EE" users or get their service from a reseller (Virgin, PlusNet, 1p-mobile etc. etc)

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi Japitts,

Band 20 is the band number for the EU wide 800 MHz 4G band.

Your theory could be correct, assumming that EE have some issues with the band 3 4G installation on that mast.

Richard

Derek_W

Thanks to you both for your help.
You're right about being in a seriously remote part of Scotland. 😀 The few people that get broadband, get 512k download speed hence wanting to go 4G.
I've seen conflicting reports on whether the phone has band 20. I bought it because of the great battery life and having band 20 but may have been wrongly advised. Otherwise it's a great phone.
japitts
Rising Star

I'm quoting https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_4_(4x)-8608.php and a few others which seem to concur.

In terms of advice to the OP on 4G coverage, EE will bring a B3 (4G1800) signal online alongside either a 2G1800 (most likely) or a 3G2100 signal to allow for users without 4G-calling devices. But initially, and assuming there's a B20 4G800 service installed, that's likely to be the first bit tested. And that can cause the symptoms you've described where phones can see the signal but your SIM isn't allowed to connect.

Derek_W

Just a quick update.  I had the opportunity to try an EE contract sim card in my phone  It worked perfectly without changing any settings.

Thanks for the suggestions.