Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Send SMS on 3G

HardyAnnual
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Can't Send SMS on 3G

Hello

I have a terrible network connection at home. With my phone sat on the table (first floor not ground floor, no tall buildings around) I'm using an app to view the signal and it fluctuates constantly from 2G to E to 4G but most of the time it displays 3G.

This is pretty annoying and makes calls very difficult but the odd/surprising part is that I can only send SMS text messages when I get 4G. I can write an SMS but it will say 'not sent', I try again and again and it is 'not sent', but if the phone suddenly gets 4G for a few seconds I can send it.

Is this normal for Plusnet, should I be able to send SMS texts over 3G (or Edge or 2G)?

Even with four full bars of 3G I can't send/receive SMS or make calls at home. Luckily if I go stand out in the street I get 4G and everything is fine. Phone is a new Blackview A60 Pro running Android 9.0

9 REPLIES 9
Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Re: Can't Send SMS on 3G

Hello @HardyAnnual

I am deeply sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your mobile service indoors.

It is worth checking the coverage around your local postal area, by entering your details here

I can PM you a list of handset diagnostic checks to carry out, however, from the description it does sound like the problem is to do with the signal coverage.

Please private message me if you need further assistance on this matter.

Kind regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good afternoon

I find this link very useful you can put in your postcode to check your location

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage

Brian A

HardyAnnual
Hooked

should I be able to send SMS texts over 3G (or Edge or 2G)?

abails0105
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 60

Thanks for getting back to us @HardyAnnual, you should be able to send text messages over 3G if the signal is there. Some basic troubleshooting to try and resolve the issue you've been having with the network is to:

1. Turn airplane mode on and off again

2. Restart your device

3. Check you have the latest software

Please let us know fi you experience any issues after following those steps.

Regards

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alice Baillie
 Plusnet Help Team
HardyAnnual
Hooked

The top bar of the phone shows four bars of 3G so I assume that means I have a good signal but I can't send texts or make calls. When the display changes to 4G everything is OK.

Does Plusnet send calls/texts over 3G as 'data' ? I have an app 'Network Cell Info' which suggests data is on for 4G but off for 3G. I don't really understand it, I don't think there are any settings in my phone to do this, is it a feature of the way Plusnet piggybacks on the EE network?

RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

@abails0105 wrote:

3. Check you have the latest software

What has that got to do with sending txts or making calls?

My old 2.3 android phone works well on everything not 4g, as does my ancient Nokia symbian phone.

In fact the nokia gets signals at remote sites where all the newer ones don't.

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @HardyAnnual You need a reliable 3G connection in order to use the Voice, SMS and Data (3G data speed) services on your phone.

Basically, when you use your voice or SMS service on your phone, the signal is sent to your local MAST poll which uses data to send the information across. This is done on a very microscopic scale and does not count as part of your 'data allowance'.

Having an unreliable 3G connection you will find that you would struggle to make/receive calls and texts.

Depending on postal areas and locations, certain places struggle to pick up a reliable signal whilst you are indoors. There are multiple reasons why this could occur - e.g electrical signal interferences, distance from the exchange, number of users around the area, etc.

For example, I cannot get any stable connection in my kitchen, however, when I am in my living room or bedroom everything works smoothly.

With your phone working smoothly everywhere else, apart from your premises, I doubt it is an issue with your handset. However, I can forward you across a full diagnostic checklist to carry out via Private Message, if you wish to look into this further.

Kind regards.

HardyAnnual
Hooked

@Dumbledore wrote:

Having an unreliable 3G connection you will find that you would struggle to make/receive calls and texts.

As I said, even with four bars of 3G I can't make calls or send texts. These only work when 4G becomes available

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi HardyAnnual, 

Does this issue affect you in more than one location?

I'm asking as whereas I understand you can have full signal when this issue happens you did mention that the phone seems to fluctuate between 2g, 3g and 4g. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team