cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Access Network Abroad

namsoni

Can't Access Network Abroad

I am in Tanzania and my phone won't connect to any local network. When I try it says "selected network unavailable". I understand my phone needs to be activated for use abroad. Grateful if someone could help me in doing this as soon as possible. 

13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Can't Access Network Abroad

Hi, AFAIK all accounts are now activated for roaming. Recent PlusNet accounts were always activated automatically but some older ones weren't. Since mandatory 'roam like at home' was introduced by the EU on June 15 , these accounts have had roaming activated automatically.

However there have been a number of reports that roaming doesn't work in some countries, Croatia being one I recall. I don't recall seeing any reports from Tanzania but from what you are seeing it sounds like Tanzania might need adding to the list of where roaming doesn't work!

If it was an EU country you could take PN to task for being in breach of EU regulations to provide 'roam like at home'

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Are International and Roaming services treated separately though? They may need to enable International services separately.

Plusnet Alumni (retired) SeanCorri
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi namsoni! I'm sorry to hear that you can't connect whilst in Tanzania! 

Unfortunately, as we do not control the network in other countries outside of the UK, we cannot always guarantee the service, if any, that you will receive. This is because we do not have access to the infastructure or network capabilities within the area. 

However, we'll always try our best to get you connected to a network while you're abroad! 

As Tanzania is outside of Europe, you will also need to have your International Access activated on your account. Without this being activated, you will be unable to access any internaitonal networks. 

I would be more than happy to check your account for you namsoni, so please don't hesitate to drop me a PM and i'll look into this for you -Sean Smiley

Sean Corri
 Plusnet Help Team
paul_blitz
Grafter

I was in Finland a couple of weeks ago, and the European roaming kicked in nicely! (I must admit, I was very lucky with the timings for my trip.... happened at just the right time!!)

Community Veteran

@SeanCorri can we be clear here, you are saying there are potentially 2 account settings involved in roaming, because I only seem to recall the account being 'enabled for roaming' referred to in previous enquires. My understanding of 'International access' was that it was required to permit international calls to be made ( from the UK ? )

What you appear to be saying is:-

1) Roaming enabled - this is required to allow the SIM to be used at all when not in the UK. When roaming in the EU this is ALL that is required and is enabled by default on all accounts now.

2) International access - this is necessary to allow roaming outside of the EU.

Can you confirm this is correct ?

Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi 

I hope this clarifies everything for you! -Sean Smiley

Sean Corri
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

I hope this clarifies everything for you! -Sean

@SeanCorri No it doesn't!

Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You're right in saying that Roaming is not needed if you're in the UK, however, some of our customers like to have the option to turn this off. 

In the previous instance, I was making reference to the fact that Tanzania is not a part of Roam Like At Home as it's outside of Europe. Therefore, to connect up to the network there you'd also need to have your International Access option activated too.

I hope that this helps further! -Sean Smiley

Sean Corri
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

@SeanCorri thanks for the response

You're right in saying that Roaming is not needed if you're in the UK, however, some of our customers like to have the option to turn this off.

I can see why you would want to disable 'data roaming' but that's done on the phone, not on the account!. I can't see why you would want to disable roaming completelyHuh. Surely if you don't want roaming, either don't take the phone abroad or turn it off! If roaming is disabled on the account it's useless abroad anyway!Roll eyes

In the previous instance, I was making reference to the fact that Tanzania is not a part of Roam Like At Home as it's outside of Europe. Therefore, to connect up to the network there you'd also need to have your International Access option activated too.

So to be clear 'International access' is NOT required in a RLAH country ? and you'll still be able to make calls to ANY RLAH country ?

Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's no problem at all 

Sean Corri
 Plusnet Help Team
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Actually would you not possibly have the same issue if (for instance) you were on the Eastern border of Poland and picking up a mast in the Ukraine? At least with International roaming turned off it wouldn't cost you anything Buck2

Community Veteran

@SeanCorri

Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi 

If customers are still connected to a foreign mast after an extended period of time, we'll usually request an update from the customer as to whether they are now living abroad or still travelling. Roam Like At Home services are provided on a short term basis, and they're not provided for persons living abroad.

Thanks for giving us some feedback 

Sean Corri
 Plusnet Help Team