cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can customer service either block a number for me or give me the number so I can block it?

Xandros
Dabbler

Can customer service either block a number for me or give me the number so I can block it?

Basically, I have an iPhone, which as most will know has a block list but only allows you to block numbers. I occasionally used to get spam text messages that were from a name, not a number, but I figured out if you used the info button to see the sender details then actually called them and immediately hung up the the number for that sender would then show up in the recently dialled list allowing me to block it. Recently though I've been getting spam texts from somewhere that seem to have figured out away to prevent this. When I dial the contact the iPhone actually tried to dial the name and fails with an unknown error, and as such I can't get hold of the number to block it.

I was just wondering if it would be worth me contacting customer service and asking them to either block these texts or if they would even be able to give me the number the texts are coming from so I can block it on my iPhone?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can customer service either block a number for me or give me the number so I can block it?

Hi @Xandros

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear the inconvenience this is causing. 

Sadly, we're not able to block any numbers from our system and this is something that would need to be processed through the handset itself. We also can't access any numbers that may call or text you as from your usage, we can only view your outgoing services rather than incoming. I do apologise! 

I hope this is something you're able to resolve, as I appreciate it doesn't sound ideal. The name which appears as the contact, can you confirm whether it's an organisation at all? It may be worth googling the name and checking if there's a way to contact them directly/ block their number. -Ashleigh 

Xandros
Dabbler

Re: Can customer service either block a number for me or give me the number so I can block it?

I can't find anything about them, they don't say what company is involved. They provide a link to go to to "claim" whatever reward it is they're supposedly offering (it's a gambling spam message) but I'm not clicking on it for obvious reasons. TPS actually recommend you don't respond to these kind of text anyway. So I can't do anything as I need a number to block. But if you can't access the numbers (is that for technical reasons?) I'm basically in between a rock and a hard place.

TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 3

Hi, we are offering Plusnet Call Protect as a free product. It is known as Choose to Divert.

This is an feature which you can choose to stop nuisance calls (such as unwanted PPI calls).

The Call Protect feature 'catches' the calls before they connect and sends them straight to a 'junk' voicemail.

Plusnet Call Protect allows you to choose whether to 'divert' certain types of numbers to a voicemail; these could be international numbers, withheld numbers or unrecognised numbers.

You can also add additional numbers to their own personal blacklist by calling 1572 after they receive a nuisance call and following the options which allows them to block the last number, for example if it was a PPI call.

Just go to the member centre here: https://www.plus.net/index_nlp.html and add it Free to your phone package.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

On a mobile?
TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 3

My apologies, I didn't realise it was a mobile, the service is for home landlines only.