cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use plusnet in Ecuador?

sorchasmith

Can I use plusnet in Ecuador?

Hi, I am currently travelling in South America and am currently in Ecuador. I lost my phone but still have my plusnet SIM and have since replaced my phone but cannot access any internet banking or WhatsApp because I need to receive a verification code by text and my SIM doesn't appear to receive signal anywhere in Ecuador. I don't mind paying roaming charges but was wondering if it is even possible to get signal in Ecuador and if it is/isn't what should I do? Any help with this would be really appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Can I use plusnet in Ecuador?

What device are you trying to use in Ecuador?

From a quick search, it uses the standard GSM 850, 900 and 1900. So in this day and age a modern GSM device should work.

The reason why I ask it sounds like the device may not support any of those bands, for example in the UK we have 1800 too. 1900 is used in North America.

Never been, so take what I say with a pinch of salt. Sounds like your device, the fact it is not getting any reception at all may mean it doesn't support the GSM bands there. 

sorchasmith

I’m using an iPhone X. When I looked that up online it sounds like it should work. I don’t know what the problem could be but will try with another device!
Thank you for your help!
Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks, I can't see a reason why it shouldn't work then.
You're not exactly using an old phone and as far as I can tell then it should work 😀

The furthest I've been and used my mobile was when I went to Australia. That was some years ago now, and I just picked up a local PAYG SIM from there. I don't know how feasible it is where you are, and your device will have to be unlocked too.

Only thing I can suggest is maybe a member of staff can pick this up and check roaming is enabled on your account?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

Unfortunately Ecuador is one of the countries where you can’t use our service as we don’t have roaming agreements with the providers there. 

There’s a full list here > https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/roaming-and-international-calls/ under the heading “Can I use my mobile phone abroad”

I agree with @Alex in that you’re better off buying a local SIM, it’s what I do when I go abroad outside of the EU.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks Gandalf,

Firstly to check your phone is unlocked, try this.

I've just changed to an iPhone SE, and I am on limited 5G now. Wooo hoo! Love it 😀

Go to Settings->General->About and look under Network Provider lock. If like mine it says 'No SIM restrictions then you can use what you like in it. I always make sure my phones are unlocked. If it is locked then some networks will unlock it for free.

NetworkLock.jpg