cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls going straight to VM

vmgscot
Hooked

Calls going straight to VM

Recently switched to Plusnet but experiencing a service issue.

My callers are reporting that most calls are ringing 1/2 rings then going to Plusnet VM.

I do not get an incoming call nor any missed call notification.

Full signal at the time - and I have just duplicated it repeatedly here in the office.- I can call out but getting issue calling the mobile.

So far I have tried the following (suggested by Plusnet)...

1. the #21# code

2. Power off, SIM out, back in and power on.

3. Turn to Flight mode for 60 secs and back

4. Manually switch to another provider then backa agin

5. Code **004*+447870020555*11*30#

6. Code **004*07870020555*11*30#

Problem still happening... issue started when I moved to Plusnet (was on Three) just last week.

Any ideas how I sort this, please?

45 REPLIES 45
SarahStewart
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 6

Re: Calls going straight to VM

Hi @vmgscot

thanks for getting in touch today, I'm very sorry to hear you're having some issues with your incoming calls. 

As you've already tried all the usual trouble shooting methods we'd advise it may be that there's an issue with your SIM. 

If you drop me a message I can certainly arrange this for you. 

vmgscot
Hooked

Ok Sarah I will PM you.

What makes you think this is a SIM issue?

I am getting 'some' calls through - although most are not getting through and go straight to VM.

For example - most of the entire day yesterday all calls went straight to VM then around 6pm ish a call got through.

This morning and it's back to every call going to VM - I can call out no problem when the issue occurs.

MikeBz
Rising Star

Out of interest I have exactly the same issue having moved from EE to PlusNet last week.  I spoke with Customer Services who called me back on a different 'phone so they could give me some codes to put in. They then called the mobile and it worked fine.  I then tried calling it from another mobile and the landline and it went straight to voicemail.  I then put the PlusNet SIM in another mobile, rang it and it worked.  Rang it a few minutes later and it goes straight to voicemail.  At least that means it's not the 'phone that is at fault.  They are going to send me a new SIM, although I suspect that is more out of hope than expectation.  The other thing which happens is that the 'phone does not show a missed call when this happens, it seems that the call simply isn't getting to the 'phone at all.  Outgoing calls ans texts work fine.  We are in a strong signal area (swapped from EE,  same network and everything worked fine, have another 'phone in the house on EE, works fine all the time, have swapped SIMS between 3 'phones and the problem always and only follows the PlusNet SIM).

I hope the new SIM fixes it, otherwise our stay with PlusNet mobile will be very short.  I don't hold out a great deal of hope unless they have had a batch of faulty SIMs recently.

Out of curiosity did you port your old number over?  I did, I'm wondering if the network has got confused with that.

vmgscot
Hooked

Yes...exact same symptoms @MikeBz!

I also popped in my works EE SIM today while the fault is happening and that works fine - confirming it's not the handset (Samsung Galaxy S7). I also have a replacement sim being sent out and am giving Plusnet the chance to resolve before I consider another provider and requests for refunds.

MikeBz
Rising Star

I've now read this thread: https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Not-receiving-Incoming-Calls-Fresh-Sim/td-p/1485915

As a result I have zero confidence in the new SIM making any difference, it's a network problem.  I've switched of 4G and hey presto, the 'phone rings when you call it.  Switch it back on, and it doesn't. Switch it off and it does etc.  This isn't an acceptable solution.  Out of courtesy we will await the new SIM and try it, but if the problem persists and PlusNet cannot promise a fix very quickly then we have no choice but to go back to EE.  It's not worth saving a few quid for a service which does not work as advertised.

vmgscot
Hooked

Thanks @MikeBz for that heads up on that thread.

Just turned off 4G and every call gets through - confirming what every body else is reporting.

MikeBz
Rising Star

The "Calls go directly to voicemail when 4G is on" bug

Switched from EE to PlusNet this week and now, like many other people, have this problem.  All the usual 'fixes' have been tried and have failed, unsurprisingly.  This is a known widespread problem that appears to only happen in certain areas - possibly any area with a decent 4G signal.  It would be really good for PlusNet to acknowledge that this problem is real, and tell us what they are doing about it, if anything.

It is not acceptable to sign up to a service which offers 4G coverage, only to NOT have 4G coverage because you need to keep 4G switched off otherwise you don't receive calls.  The service we signed up for is not being provided.

I'm afraid I don't have a crystal ball which tells me when someone is about to call me so that I can switch 4G off at just that moment.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Not-receiving-Incoming-Calls-Fresh-Sim/td-p/1485915

MikeBz
Rising Star

I started a new topic this morning, specifically about this bug (need to switch off 4G to stop calls going to voicemail).  In it I asked PN to acknowledge the existence of the problem and update us on progress.  After a couple of hours the topic disappeared from the forum.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note:

@MikeBz your topic was caught by the spam filter.

I have released it from there and merged it into this topic to keep things together for clarity.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MikeBz
Rising Star

OK thankyou @Strat.  I think it is worthy of a topic on its own with an appropriate title (having to turn off 4G) since it is a single issue that a number of people are suffering from and is not related to suggested fixes for putting in codes, replacing the SIM etc.  It is a big single issue that PN seems to be in denial about.

vmgscot
Hooked

New SIM arrived Friday and activated.

Received calls for for a couple days then stopped again and going straight to VM.

MikeBz
Rising Star

New SIM arrived on Saturday, activated just now.  No change, 4G on and calls go straight to voicemail, 4G off and phone rings.  Tumbleweed from PN support on the issue, as though it doesn't exist or is acceptable.  This alone is enough to make us cancel within the 14-day period and go elsewhere (back to EE - more ££ but you do get what is advertised).  Worse still we've had other random weirdness which we did not get with EE - text messages not arriving, missed calls/voicemail with no notification of either.  Enough's enough. 

vmgscot
Hooked

I'm giving up too and getting a PAC.

Plusnet staff wanted me to make a series of test calls and log, etc - which I can understand but I didn't sign up to be a network tester so I'm off to another supplier. My landline/broadband package is due renewal next week so think I'll shift the lot this time around.

mainplus

I am also having the same problem.  For now I have reverted to 3G, but this is not the service I'm paying for. Is there a resolution to this issue?  Do I need you to send me a new SIM, if so how do I go about it.

We have been missing some really significant business calls, and calls from seriously ill relatives, so if I can't get this resolved in the next couple of weeks I'm going to have to get a PAC code and move elsewhere.