cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls going straight to VM

dsm

Calls going straight to VM

So, I know this is a common problem but why can't it be sorted.  I tried getting my VM turned off to give the phone longer to downgrade to 3g - that didn't work: callers just got one ring then the 3-beeps 'number unavailable', So, I had the VM turned back on again - extended the ring time before VM to 30s but made no difference as I wasn't even getting the 20s before - just the one ring.  Really frustrating as we have good 4g coverage which I can't use where I live as can only receive calls by switching off 4g on data and voice (not just voice). Any solutions yet Plusnet or anyone?

8 REPLIES 8
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Calls going straight to VM

Hi dsm,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with calls going straight to Voicemail, there are some troubleshooting steps that we can run through to try and resolve this.

• Input the following code into your dial pad and press call - #21#.
  • Re-boot your handset by turning it off and removing the SIM card entirely.
  • Manually searching for a network and if given an option, attempt to connect to any other network that differs from EE/Plusnet. Once you've done this, leave it for a couple of minutes and then go back and select EE/Plusnet. 
  • Pop over to https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice, input your postcode and check the area for any possible issues/maintenance works. 

If this is only occurring when inside your home (indoors), it could be an issue with the signal strength. We do advise that we can't guarantee full signal due to numerous factors such as, the density of building materials, tree cover, weather conditions and how many people are using the network.

- Rebeka 

dsm

Hi Rebeka

I had already done all of those things (except the manual network search which is not actually available now I’m with Plusnet - it’s greyed out). Let’s not pretend it’s a ‘thick walls’ no signal problem when the problem is a network fault. I had no problem whatsoever with Giffgaff. For some reason Plusnet does not allow enough time for the phone to switch to 3G to take calls and VM kicks in. This is a huge problem for me (and the other 2 members of my family recently switched to Plusnet) and a huge problem for Plusnet! Please sort it out.
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can assure you dsm, that the density of building materials can affect the signal quality. 

Can you possibly troubleshoot, by trying this outside within your postcode area?

- Rebeka 

dsm

I don’t doubt that but I have an excellent signal! That is not the problem - should I refer you to the chains of posts that other users have created regarding this issue?
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We do have to troubleshoot and treat each possible issue individually dsm.

I'll certainly help in any way I can with this, but I would need you to try a few steps to try and narrow this down. 

Can you please try this outside within your postcode area?

- Rebeka 

MikeBz
Rising Star

Out of interest I have exactly the same issue having moved from EE to PlusNet last week.  I spoke with Customer Services who called me back on a different 'phone so they could give me some codes to put in. They then called the mobile and it worked fine.  I then tried calling it from another mobile and the landline and it went straight to voicemail.  I then put the PlusNet SIM in another mobile, rang it and it worked.  Rang it a few minutes later and it goes straight to voicemail.  At least that means it's not the 'phone that is at fault.  They are going to send me a new SIM, although I suspect that is more out of hope than expectation.  The other thing which happens is that the 'phone does not show a missed call when this happens, it seems that the call simply isn't getting to the 'phone at all.  Outgoing calls ans texts work fine.  We are in a strong signal area (swapped from EE,  same network and everything worked fine, have another 'phone in the house on EE, works fine all the time, have swapped SIMS between 3 'phones and the problem always and only follows the PlusNet SIM).

I hope the new SIM fixes it, otherwise our stay with PlusNet mobile will be very short.  I don't hold out a great deal of hope unless they have had a batch of faulty SIMs recently.

vmgscot
Hooked

I also have exact same issue.

I only moved to Plusnet last week (brand new sim) and ported number over.

Getting a new SIM sent out so will see if that sorts anything

MikeBz
Rising Star

As per this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Not-receiving-Incoming-Calls-Fresh-Sim/td-p/1485915 turning off 4G 'fixes' the problem.  Except that then you don't have 4G.  This is clearly not acceptable.  If I had known about this I wouldn't have switched to PlusNet, if it's not fixed pronto I will have to switch back to EE.  We are not getting the service that we signed up for.