Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling Internationally (newbie!)

FIXED
picnoir
Dabbler

Calling Internationally (newbie!)

I just signed up our family of 4 for SIM only plan a couple of months ago.

My wife phoned German mobile for 54 seconds and was charged £0.83. Fair enough as calling from the UK to band 1 is £1 per minute.

Looking at the cost of making calls from Band 1 it says there are no charges and it is included in the plan allowance. Same for text and data.

So does that mean when we go to France we can call and text Germany using our plan allowance? Or am I being thick!

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Calling Internationally (newbie!)

Fix

No , you're not being thickSmiley. When you are roaming in an EU country, then calls, texts to any other EU country (including your home country) will use your plan allowance. Data usage will also come from your allowance.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

picnoir
Dabbler

Thanks for that. I've been vaguely aware of all these EU roam from home stuff but previously was on PAYG so the detail didn't matter.

Seems a bit perverse to be charged an arm and a leg to call Germany from the UK but nothing from the EU but I think I understand why in technical terms. Clearly it's not "logical".

Cheers 🙂

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

It's definitely not something mobile phone operators voted for because it costs them money - Roam like Home was forced on them by the EU! Roll_eyes

What happens after Brexit is anyone's guess at the moment. Undecided