Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boosting signal indooors

kevanm
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Boosting signal indooors

Hi - does anyone have any ideas how I can boost my mobile signal indoors?  We live in an area where reception is very poor - if I go outside and walk up the street I can get a signal but obviously, that's not very convenient for making calls or receiving text messages etc! Smiley

It was exactly like this with my previous provider (Virgin) but I was hoping changing to Plusnet would be different and I would get a stronger signal. Always the optimist Smiley

In the house the signal is very weak - it comes and goes, sometimes to the point of de-registering on the network. I've spoken to PlusNet Support about a signal booster but they don't offer these. I understand that a signal booster has to be configured to a particular network, so there's no point me just buying one on Ebay or something, as it won't work with Plusnet.

Any ideas would be very welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
japitts
Rising Star

Re: Boosting signal indooors

VirginMobile & PlusNet are both MVNOs running off EE, so will have *exactly* the same coverage in any given location.

Assuming it's not a service fault (sounds unlikely), then the only way you're going to improve coverage is either by finding another network who has better service in your home... or by using a WiFi-based solution inside. Something like WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger offer voice calls to other app-users, or other full-service providers offer proper WiFi-calling.

kevanm
Dabbler

Thanks for the response - I wish I had known it was the same network before I switched from Virgin but never mind, I have a much better data allowance and Customer Service that is far superior. Virgin mobile should use 'Rudeness comes as standard with all our plans' as a tag-line Smiley

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @kevanm

I am sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your mobile signal connection whilst you are at home.

It is worth checking to see how your coverage is like around your postal area by entering your details here

I can see our forum user @japitts has helped with explaining that we are an MVNO provider and provided some insight knowledge.

We are happy to have a look into your account and see if there are any issues we can spot that could be causing this for you.

If can please send me a Private Message with the following details:-

- Your full name

- Your mobile number

- Your full home address, including your postcode

Once you have PM'd me, please comment on this thread post, so we can continue to assist you.

Many thanks.

kevanm
Dabbler

Hi - I've sent a pm with the details you requested.

Signal is non-existant - I can't even send a text message.

Thanks

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi @kevanm

I'm really sorry to hear about your issues. I have sent you a PM with further security questions. 

Kind Regards

kevanm
Dabbler

Hi - I've sent a pm with the further details you requested.

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi @kevanm

I have had a check over your address and area which shows you should have a very good signal. 

In some circumstances, it can be your premises making the signal difficult to penetrate and make contact with your device. Devices in your home can also dilute your Mobile signal/cause interference.

We're more than happy to escalate this to our Operations team but we would require three examples being sent via PM. 
Example 1 would need to be in your home and the other two examples would need to be in different postcode areas. Please ensure the examples are no more than 2 hours apart and gathered within the last 48 hours of providing them to ourselves via PM. 

Example 1

Date: 

Time: 

Service Attempted: 

Postcode: 

The error that occurred: 

Example 2

Date: 

Time: 

Service Attempted: 

Postcode: 

The error that occurred: 

Example 3

Date: 

Time: 

Service Attempted: 

Postcode:

Kind Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good afternoon kevanm

You may find this link useful enter you postcode and house number/name and it will give you a good idea what networks will get coverage

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage

Brian A

kevanm
Dabbler

That's very useful - thank you.

Looks like I may be on the move again! Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad it helped I have I found it quite useful and accurate

If you find a supplier that suggests is good at you address if you know someone who is on that try their phone at your address will only cost you a cup of coffee

Brian A

Anonymous
Not applicable

Who did you find was the best signal this is a list of companies who piggy back off the four suppliers

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/piggybacking/#tablepiggyback

kevanm
Dabbler

It looks like the O2 network would be best for my area - which would mean me probably switching to Tesco mobile (I would get the points!). I'm tempted to get one of their free SIMs to test it.

kevanm
Dabbler

I think it would be a pointless exercise escalating to operations - I had this same problem with Virgin.

I need a signal booster but, of course, Plusnet don't offer these even though EE do.