cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic newbie questions

isolarion72
Dabbler

Basic newbie questions

Hello - I beg your indulgence for a complete novice to smartphones. I'm planning on buying my first one very soon and I see Plusnet have an offer of £7 a month for their service (I already have broadband and landline with them). Would that allow me access to the internet through Plusnet (I wouldn't use it that much) and as many calls and texts as I liked without further charge? It seems very cheap for that.

Is it simple to set up once I buy the smartphone?

TIA - sorry if my questions appear naive!

6 REPLIES 6
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Basic newbie questions

Even if you don't give plusnet your custom, all data usage (but not calls or texts) would be free when you are using your Plusnet WiFi (ie made from home) regardless of your provider.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good afternoon isolarion72 

Yes you would be able to access the  internet either via your home internet by using your home hub that would be part of your house allowance or the phones Wi-Fi that usage would come off the mobile allowance

When you buy the phone make sure it's unlocked and 4G

What phone to buy depends on how deep your pockets are but look around don't just jump in as the prices vary  considerably for the same phone 

I have purchased my last two Samsung phones from Argos on Ebay for refurbished 

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/argos?aspectFilter=%7B%7D&sortOrder=BestMatch&inCategory=9355

Brian A

isolarion72
Dabbler

Thank you for your replies and advice. I missed out a vital piece of information - at the moment I don't have wifi  - my internet connection is wired. Does that make a difference?

Apologies again for my ignorance!

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Wired is faster and more reliable, but otherwise no difference. 😀

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

isolarion72
Dabbler

Okay, thank you all. I have just one more basic question: when I sign up with Plusnet mobile will it involve Plusnet sending me a SIM card in the post before I can use the phone? Or can I obtain a SIM card from somewhere else?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Plusnet will send you a sim card in the post

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.