Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Verification - Plusnet mobile shows as diverted

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Bank Verification - Plusnet mobile shows as diverted

Hi,

Our bank uses a call to mobile phone as part of the authorisation process, they display a code on the screen then make a call to the mobile, and you key in the code as DTMF digits.   Earlier this week was the first time I used this since moving to Plusnet, and although that process worked and showed the code as accepted, the transaction was blocked by security and I had to go through a long winded manual process to get the payment cleared.

During my conversation with the bank it turned out the their systems see the mobile as being a diverted call and therefore insecure.  I assume this is because the number was ported from another carrier.   Is this normal, and if so will the problem ever go away?

3 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Re: Bank Verification - Plusnet mobile shows as diverted

I'm not too sure about the divert, but there are a few threads on here about the Plusnet not allowing short numbers, which is usually what banks will call on.  Could that be the issue?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Cheers, aren't short numbers only for text messages?   The process used here is a voice phone call, then the code is keyed in on the keypad as DTMF digits.   That part all worked, the I received the phone call and the digits were accepted.  It was only just afterwards that the bank rejected that as a diverted number.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Ah sorry, I thought it also affected voice calls.  I thought I'd read about people complaining about banks, nhs and such like ringing them as well as txting, but could be wrong.  I also didn't realise that you'd received the call.  Hopefully someone will be able to help.