cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT say that my Plusnet Mobile number is premium overseas number

Adam70

BT say that my Plusnet Mobile number is premium overseas number

I've had a plusnet mobile account and phone number for a couple of years. Recently my parents have been calling me from their Post Office (BT) operated service with a call plan that includes free mobile calls. However, they have been charged for calls to my phone at premium rate.

My parents queried it and escalated through customer complaints and Post Office have said that my mobile number is not registered in the UK and so is treated as a premium number.

We provided a copy of one of my bills to verify the number and account are registered in the UK, but Post Office are not interested / do not believe us.

Has anyone heard of this before? If so, any solutions?

What evidence is it possible to produce to prove my case?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: BT say that my Plusnet Mobile number is premium overseas number

Odd, what’s the first 4 digits of your number?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

There was a similar problem a while ago with Plusnet charging incorrectly for a,UK mobile call https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/phone-call-to-number-starting-with-073-charged-as-outside-plan/...

Seems a certain number range had been wrongly classified

Basically any mobioenumber starting 071 to 075 and 077 to 079 ishould be classed as,a standard uk mobile

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Adam70

I'd noticed some other comments on a similar line

My number starts 07465.

I thought it might be because the number has five zeros in the main part of the number, so looks unusual.

If it is the prefix being categorised wrongly on some master system, how does anyone go about getting this changed?

Thanks again

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I think you'll need to raise it as a formal complaint to the Post office since its they who are making the charge. If no resolution then you'll have to take it to the Ombudsman https://www.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-phone/complaint

Just looked at the Post office website call charges guide and it does list 07465 as a Premium mobile number.

Might be worth contacting Ofcom and seeing what they say, but don't hold your breath for a response

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Adam70 wrote:

My number starts 07465.

Hi Adam,

Only  074650, 074651, 074653 are classed as  Premium Mobile Numbers  so what is your sixth digit ?

HD

Adam70

Yep, its a zero - 07465 00xxxxx

Adam70

Thanks Mr W

So the complaint would be that the Post Office call plan is sold as "inclusive calls for all UK mobile numbers starting with 07", and there are no asterisks or exceptions noted suggesting there may be a list of premium numbers hidden away on the website that are excluded, and so this is mis-selling/misdescription?

Perhaps this is where the craptitude comes in, as the call centre person told my mother this was not a UK number - whereas it factually is.

It would seem an open and shut case. I wonder if small claims court would be more expedient than waiting 90 days (or whatever it might be) for Ofcom. Seems incredibly petty to me, but how else is there any accountability for these annoying 'computer says no' injustices? People not willing to look at the facts and the circumstances.