cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Plusnet really just a Sim Card suppler?!

thebeehive
Dabbler

Are Plusnet really just a Sim Card suppler?!

I had the most difficult time trying to get some sensible information from Plusnet staff yesterday afternoon.  I was told by one young lady that they do not help with difficulties setting up email accounts.  We have been with Plusnet since 1996 and had perfect service until yesterday.

Apple sorted out this problem for me.

i was left with the distinct impression Plusnet have had a reorganisation and not told their customers about this.  One of the members of staff was consulting the Help section of Plusnet while speaking to me.  She was reading the incorrect section.  Has anybody had recent similar difficulties.  If so, can you shed any light as to what is going on?

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are Plusnet really just a Sim Card suppler?!

Hi thebeehive 

The main problem with PlusNet is there are no shops where you can go to get help (replacement sim cards setting up phones etc.)

EE  Three and most other of the big providers have shops but with  PlusNet you have to ring in have a long wait and depends who you get  you get correct advice the tech team is in France various posts have said

I think you get what you pay for or with PlusNet not what you are paying for

Brian A

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Anonymous  Think I'd tend to agree, up to a point. My provider piggybacks on to Vodafone and yet they sound a million miles away from the PN experiences reported on here. As an existing customer I do actually get deals that just don't appear to new customers - I haven't had to go begging. It's one reason I've stayed put with them and not moved to PN. 

But saying that, I looked up the deal that I have to see how much it would cost going direct with Vodafone. Gulp! Over double the price. I think I can mange without the shops etc. If the phone was vital then yes, maybe worth it but it isn't.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning idonno 

If you are talking about Talkmobile as there are very few providers who piggyback off Vodafone I think they are actually part of Vodaphone

Do you get a full 4G signal not like PlusNet where users get a reduced EE 4G singnal

I agree there are some very reasonably priced sim only plans eg 10GB data 3K mins and 5K texts for £10

They do not appear on comparison sites like USwitch so well worth a look thank you

Brian A 

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Anonymous  Yes, I got  a text message some time ago to say they were teaming up with Vodafone. Owned by them or not, I still contact them through Talkmobile.

If 4G is available, I get it. Only place it is a little lacking is at home but then these parts are on the edge of a black hole with ALL mobile operators (despite what the coverage charts show). Nothing unusual to see people talking on their mobile out in the street.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @thebeehive 

Not sure if you're referring to our mobile or broadband support/service. Based on your thread title I'd say mobile, however we don't offer e-mail addresses for mobile accounts. For broadband on the other hand we do but we'd generally only support if you have a Plusnet address as 3rd party ones are beyond our support remit, although we'll try to help if we can.

Mind if I ask what the issue was, and if this was about mobile or broadband?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
thebeehive
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf, we do have a broadband account with Plus net and we run our emails from this.  I recently bought a new mobile phone and needed to set this up.  I did thus successfully last week with assistance with one of your team.  However earlier this week noticed I had inserted an extra dot which prevented me sending emails.

i sought help from Plusnet and was put through to a young lady who did not know what an operating system is, who consulted Online help to answer my questions.  She then told me Plusnet is just a SIM card supplier.  I was concerned about what I should expect from Plusnet as this has not been the treatment I have received since signing up with yourselves in 1996

who do I speak to when setting email up on my broadband and mobile equipment please?

thebeehive
Dabbler

PS, I have a plusnet email, it ends .plus.com

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me.

Just to clarify did you call our mobile or broadband support team? Our mobile guys via live chat or telephone generally wouldn't be able to assist with setting up a Plusnet email address as they're a separate department to broadband/home phone, and won't be able to see your broadband account as mobile accounts are handled by a different system.

who do I speak to when setting email up on my broadband and mobile equipment please?

I'd recommend calling us on 0800 432 0200, selecting the Other > E-mail option via Live Chat from Here, or drop us a message via Facebook/Twitter if you use social media. Happy to help here too as are many community members I'm sure.

Let me know if you did call us on the above and I'll investigate further when I'm in the office tomorrow and have access to your broadband account. Although having said that, if you did call our mobile support team, I'd have expected a mobile adviser to know we sell broadband too, so if that was the case could you PM me the number you rang us from including the time as I'd like to arrange to get the call listened to and feedback passed on where appropriate.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
thebeehive
Dabbler

The number I called was 0800 079 1133. I spoke to four members of staff in relatively quick succession. The first young lady had a very strong Liverpudlian accent. I spoke to the first person who answered the phone. I was not given the option until the third person to speak to any one else other the person that answered the phone.

The number I called from is [Removed]. Thank you for your help with this.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@thebeehive It might not be a good idea to post that number on an open public forum, even it is not your personal one.

You may end up with lots of spam callers. If you wish to remove it, go to your post, click Post Options and Edit Reply.

(just pointing it out) Wink

edit. Crikey, that's about the fastest I've seen @Mav do his magic!! Thumbs_Up

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the detail. 

Thats our mobile support number. For anything broadband/home phone/e-mail/YouView/BT Sport I’d stick with calling 0800 432 0200, live chat, social media or posting over here.

Although I see where you’d be coming from having got a new mobile handset, instinctively call the mobile support team. At least you know now for future reference. 

I’ll ensure the calls are listened to and feedback passed on appropriately with how we could’ve improved on the experience you’ve had.

P.S. I asked our mods to edit out your landline phone number from your post to try to protect your privacy. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
thebeehive
Dabbler

I can’t find my post where I mistakenly put in my land line number.  I need to edit this out  can you help Please?

thebeehive
Dabbler

Thank you

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Chat to Mobile

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'