cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple watch

brownsfamily

Apple watch

Cellular Apple Watch

Does anybody know if it is either likely, or even possible, that PlusNet will be able to support the cellular side of an Apple watch in the near future?  I am due to renew my SIM only deal and would choose PlusNet if I could add the watch to the contract.  I know that PlusNet use the EE network, so don't understand why the watch isn't currently supported.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Apple watch

Hi brownsfamily,

As our SIM cards/allowances are designed for use within a handset, we cannot guarantee that they will work with an Apple watch. 

There is a 14 day cancellations period from sign up, so you're more than welcome to try. 

- Rebeka Smiley

brownsfamily

I understand that the Apple Watch has a 'built in Sim', it requires an EE (or Vodafone) SIM card in a phone to link the watch to, EE charge £5.00/month to do this. My question is whether or not EE, or better still, PlusNet, can link the watch to a PlusNet Sim?

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

I'm sorry, but we cannot guarantee if this will work or not, as the service is designed for handset use and not for alternative devices. 

Depending on the handset, tethering can be supported, but you would need to try this with the SIM and the device you wish to link it up to. 

- Rebeka 

brownsfamily

OK, thanks.  I don't believe it is just a case of tethering the devices as the watch is designed to be used away from the phone, I think the phone SIM has to be linked to the watch by the network.

Has anybody reading this any experience of trying to do this with PlusNet or do I need to go for an EE contract?

Thank you.

sneakybutcher

Hi,

I am also very interested to get a more formal response on this. I am looking to get a plusnet sim as i know it uses the EE network. On the back of this I am then looking to purchase a new apple watch Series4 with GPS and cellular network capabilities. My aim is to pair the watch with my iphone through the apple watch app and then use the cellular facility to be able to use the same mobile number as well as all other functions that are linked with a paired mobile number.

Has there been any further help or discussion on this or do I need to bite the bullet and just buy an EE contract?

I'm, frankly, quite surprised that I cannot find a definitive answer either way on this topic on the internet.

@brownsfamilydid you manage to get any further?

@RebekaPrestonhas Plusnet, as a business, put out any formal details on this type of enquiry?

Mark101
Dabbler

The Apple watch SIM's are not supported by many at all - anywhere in the world. https://www.apple.com/uk/watch/cellular/
So the likelihood of Apple approaching a small company like Plusnet to do a partnership is very low for a while yet.
sneakybutcher

Thanks Mark. I guess the fuzzy line is that Plusnet uses the EE network so there is an assumption that EE is EE no matter what. From the sounds of it that is NOT the case, therefore Plusnet does not support apple phone sims.

Would that be a fair statement?
Mark101
Dabbler

Yes that's right statement.

EE (+BT) is network owner, so all their latest and greatest will stay with them.

Suppose a MVNO could do a deal with EE - but expect the cost would make their SIM's dearer than EE charge themselves.
brownsfamily

I have just ordered a sim direct from EE on a black Friday deal so just waiting for it to come through which I will pair with a series 4 watch.

I still don't understand why PlusNet can't offer this service as I understand it to be a network link between the phone sim and watch sim and PlusNet use the EE network.