cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone here set up an EE Signal Box recently (for PN Mobile use)?

markv
Rising Star

Anyone here set up an EE Signal Box recently (for PN Mobile use)?

Trying to solve the problem of only-just 2G and nothing else at my home location.

As there's no sign of WiFi-calling, my only option seems to be an EE Signal Box (I have read all posts on the subject but nothing recent).

My hope was to get a 99p EE Text and Talk PAYG SIM which qualifies me as a customer and then buy a Signal Box.

Local EE shop says they're no longer available to buy in-store and the only route is to talk to EE head office and convince them why you need one. Doesn't sound hopeful.

Alternatively, they are available on eBay, buy who knows if EE will (re) register such a box (I could ask on the EE forum...).

Any suggestions? Not particularly looking for an 'official' response because I understand this is not a supported route.

4 REPLIES 4
HeathHayle

Re: Anyone here set up an EE Signal Box recently (for PN Mobile use)?

I can’t see why you wouldn’t be able to register a non-used one from Ebay but don’t quote me on it the only other route would be to buy one out right from the manufacturer but I think that’s like £200-£300 so no really a viable option cos you could get a EE contract for that!
markv
Rising Star

To partly answer my own questions with info paraphrased from EE community mods.

EE shops do still sell Signal Boxs; my local shop was talking rubbish.

A Signal Box can only be activated when linked to a EE pay-monthly SIM contract. [whilst that's the official word, I've read here, and on the BT Mobile forum of people saying they were definitely allowed to activate on a PAYG SIM]

A Signal Box that has already been registered (e.g. one bought from eBay) will not be re-registered by EE; end of story. [again, that might be the official word but lots of forum posts from people who claim to have done it. Perhaps you just need to get a helpful EE helpdesk person]

Not official from EE, but everything I've read says if you do get a box successfully activated, you can then use it with a MVNO using EE (such as PN or BT).

Interestingly, unlike the Voda SureSignal where you specify which phones can use it, anyone (you, neighbours, passers-by) can use the Signal Box and there's nothing the owner can do about it. So you could find that you can't benefit from your own box because all the slots are used by other people!

Bottom line is you won't find out if it's going to work unless you buy a box, and an EE SIM, and try it.

With wifi-calling becoming much more common, I suspect signal booster boxes will fade away as irrelevant.

markv
Rising Star

@HeathHayle I'm sure you're right, and some eBay sales specifically say 'unregistered' - but they have VERY high prices, even more than the EE price of (unconfirmed) £89. Obviously those sellers believe unregistered carries a price premium.

A lot of eBay offers say new and unused, so you could probably get your money back if registration was refused by EE (or could the seller argue that it was unused but had been registered...).

Even if there's no problem with registering the box, it's certain you need some sort of genuine EE SIM to register it to.

Perhaps that a free PAYG Talk&Text SIM that you have put £5 on. I wouldn't begrudge paying them a small ongoing amount

Or perhaps it has to be an EE pay-monthly that you keep running for the life of the Signal Box (completely defeating the object of using it to make Plusnet Mobile work).

If ever Plusnet offer wifi-calling, even at an additional monthly cost, the problem would go away.

HeathHayle

@markv actually reading you reply I think your right I think I remember reading that the signal box needs to be connected to a active EE account