cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody else not being able to access deals from comparison sites?

pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Anybody else not being able to access deals from comparison sites?

They seem to be all using URL redirection via dobleclick.net which is not working for me (I get HTTP Error 400). This has been going on for at least a week.

I was able to access the deal I want (with Virgin) by copying/pasting and decoding the redirection URL by hand, but I was wondering has anyone noticed this?

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anybody else not being able to access deals from comparison sites?

Perhaps you should post some URLs of sites that don't work for you to see if anyone else has a problem ?

- otherwise we would only be guessing what you might be looking at !

pkw
Aspiring Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable

All working for me

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 12-22-14 SIM Only Deals - From just £1.99 a month.png

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 12-22-52 Compare the Best SIM Only Deals 2023 MoneySuperMarket.png

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 12-23-36 Compare the Best SIM Only Deals in August 2023 - Uswitch.png

pkw
Aspiring Pro

Thanks. It could be my adblock, although I added them to the exceptions, but will double-check.

To clarify, have you tried clicking on the deals? The ones that take you to the operatros' sites.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have "Adblock Plus" enabled,  and it has blocked something on all of those sites - but each comparison site seems to show complete information as you can see in my screenshots above

pkw
Aspiring Pro

I think you misunderstood.

I am not talking about the sites themselves, but the redirections after you click on a deal.

I see the same sites just fine.

After clicking on a deal, they redirect to an URL like this:

https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/482521700;289139292;j?https%3A%2F%2Fwww.virginmedia.com%2Fmobile%...

which is not working

It's as if it's an issue with doubleckick.net

edit: the url seems to be removed automatically from my post, but I think you get the idea

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@pkw, the link you've posted to doubleclick is giving me a 400 error on both my Plusnet connection and another one, but following your earlier links to the other sites and clicking on the deals gets me through to the sites that it should.  I tried quite a few, including one to Virgin Media as that was referenced in the doubleclick link.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried again, and on all three sites,  I can click on the button next to the deal, and get to the next page showing the details, and I've gone all the way through to the checkout.

This on my Plusnet connection but non-Plusnet DNS

Anonymous
Not applicable

From all three of your comparison sites I get through to this (same for each) -

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 13-18-49 £5.95 for 6GB.png

pkw
Aspiring Pro

@pjmarsh wrote:

@pkw, the link you've posted to doubleclick is giving me a 400 error on both my Plusnet connection and another one, but following your earlier links to the other sites and clicking on the deals gets me through to the sites that it should.  I tried quite a few, including one to Virgin Media as that was referenced in the doubleclick link.

That is very curious, as what you're saying is the link I posted gives you 400 but the exact same link from the site works.

I'm still at a loss what's causing it but I don't think I'm going to investigate it further.

pkw
Aspiring Pro

The culprit turned out to be a Chrome extension called ClearURLs. I had installed it for tidying up URLs from Amazon for easy sharing on Whatsapp etc, and forgot I even had it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL !

At least you discovered what was causing your problem.