cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding email to my iphone - will I loose emails going to my PC?

Befuddled22

Adding email to my iphone - will I loose emails going to my PC?

Hi there.

I would like some advice as to what happens to may emails if I start accessing them on my iphone.

I have avoided putting emails on my phone to date as I get so many! Now we are going on holiday and lots of the tours etc want to use email to communicate.  I am worried that if they download onto my phone I will not get them on my PC - is this what happens?  

I am conscious that when emails are downloaded to my PC - they are no longer available on Plusnet server.  Therefore this would be no good to access from abroad if I wanted to access old emails I had already received on my PC.

I would really appreciate some advice as to how this all works.  If I can see messages both on my phone and PC -  would Outlook be the best app.  I use Outlook on my PC.

Thanks! 

6 REPLIES 6
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Adding email to my iphone - will I loose emails going to my PC?

There are 2 ways of collecting emails.  IMAP and POP3.  IMAP leaves the messages on the server and syncs them to the client, making this ideal where you want to access the same emails on multiple devices.  Any changes to the emails (deleting, moving folder, setting flags etc...) will show in any client regardless of which one you made that change on.  POP3 downloads the email from the server and then (usually) deletes it from the server, so it wouldn't be available to other clients.  With some clients you can make a change to leave the emails on the server, though even if you do that, any changes to an email in one client won't reflect what you have done on another.

The first thing you'd need to determine is how you currently have your PC client configured.  I'm sure someone could help you with that, if you tell us what client (email program) you're using on your PC at the moment.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 379

I am worried that if they download onto my phone I will not get them on my PC - is this what happens?  

It depends! There are two methods by which email can be accessed, POP and IMAP. When using POP, an email client will download emails to its local storage, deleting them from the server, thus they are not accessible by other clients. IMAP on the other hand, accesses messages directly on the server ( including storing sent messages ), leaving them there so that other clients can access them. Messages are only deleted from the server when a client explicitly deletes them.

From your description of your current setup, it sounds like you are using POP. Changing to using IMAP would be the best approach if you wish to access email from multiple devices. However you need to be VERY CAREFUL in how you do this with an existing POP account.

If you simply change it from POP to IMAP, you will lose all existing emails!!! Currently your emails are held on your PC, so there are none on the server. Changing the account type to IMAP would access those on the server, so would show no emails and in addition would delete the locally stored ones!.

edit: @pjmarsh  types faster than me

In principle, to avoid this , you create a second account in the client, accessing the same mailbox but using IMAP. Existing emails can then be copied from the old POP account to the new IMAP account and now are present on the server.

How you would do this in practice with Outlook I'm not sure since I dont use it. If you require detailed advice on Outlook Im sure others around here will be able to provide it...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Befuddled22

Hi.  Thanks very much for your reply. You learn something new every day!  That makes a lot of sense.  Looking in my outlook it states pop/smtp so that will explain why the messages disappear off the server.  As I mentioned I use Outlook - if that is what you mean by the client?

Befuddled22

Thanks very much for your reply.  So glad you have highlighted the potential downsides - it would be catastrophic!  I'm thinking maybe I give contacts my husband's email for the period that we are away so save all the hassle.

Many thanks to everyone

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Yes, Outlook is your email client.  As @MisterW says the easiest way would be to stop your POP3 account from collecting emails, set up a new account in Outlook using IMAP, then drag your emails from the old one to the new one.  You would need to make sure the POP3 client doesn't get the emails again though as it would delete them!

One thing to watch out for though is how much space the emails take up.  Plusnet have a 1GB limit.  After which you'll get a warning or 2 before the emails are archived on the server.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 379

I'm thinking maybe I give contacts my husband's email for the period that we are away so save all the hassle.

@Befuddled22  if it's purely a temporary requirement for while you are away then there is an alternative simple solution.

If you configure a mail account on the phone, ensuring that it is using IMAP, then it will show any emails that are on the server without deleting them. Assuming the main PC is not collecting emails whilst you are away then emails will remain on the server and the phone will display emails that are received. Once you return, the PC will collect all the emails that arrived whilst away and delete them from the server.  The only down side is that any emails you send from the phone whilst away will NOT appear in the sent folder on the PC