cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actual time to port

plutox
Grafter

Actual time to port

Could a member of staff please advise on how long it is currently taking to port a number into the new service. I ask because I need to plan the changeover.

Hypothetically, were I to submit the PAC today, when would the change actually take place?

Thanks.

19 REPLIES 19
joejl

Re: Actual time to port

You may not be in luck. Plusnet have not responded to posts on the recent topic:  "Ported number unavailable for 2 days???". I would not get your hopes up of a helpful reply.  The simplistic answer is up to two working days, (Monday to Friday: if the request is submitted before mid afternoon on the previous day), if you are interested in how long your number will be unavailable: the customer services answer so far offered is also "up to Two working days". In case they do feel inclined to reply to you splitting out the likely length of time to complete a Port after the old supplier has disconnected your line would be more helpful than the two day mantra - it certainly would have been to me!

plutox
Grafter

Personally, I don't care if the port will not take place for a week, or two, or three weeks. What I do need is a date upon which it will happen so those who need to know can be told of the impending incommunicado.

joejl

....and the green flag daftness tends to support the view -  Plusnet don't want to be involved in a  subject clarifying a subject that appears to live in the too difficult box. 

theadz01

Took about 4 working days for mine to port over. I always had service, just not my number. 

plutox
Grafter

@theadz01 wrote:

I always had service, just not my number

Remember that "service" consists, just as much, of the means for others to call you as for you to call them!

adamjmartin
Dabbler

I requested my port Tuesday 6th, around 9am. I'm still waiting for it to be completed - I can send/receive texts but I can't receive phone calls, I can't even forward my calls to my work phone as a backup. Plusnet don't seem to have any other information than the port being completed is 'imminent' and I am on a priority list, but I'm not holding out much hope.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi plutox,

The port-in process takes up to 2 working days to complete and there will be some disruption on the network in the meantime, but this is part of the process. You can use your existing SIM until the transfer is complete and you will know this as your current SIM will stop working. When this happens, pop in your Plusnet mobile SIM and you'll be good to go!

If you have any queries regarding the port-in process, drop me a message and I'll be more than happy to help.

- Rebeka Smiley

adamjmartin
Dabbler

That's not my experience at all. My old Vodafone SIM stopped working on Weds/Thursday last week, but the port is still yet to complete as I can't receive calls.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

joejl

Plusnet! Plusnet! Plusnet! "You can use your existing SIM until the transfer is complete and you will know this as your current SIM will stop working. When this happens, pop in your Plusnet mobile SIM and you'll be good to go!"

Alas: not factually accurate information. The phone will work as a phone true. The plusnet sim already worked in the phone before the switch. It will therefore continue to work after your previous supplier switches your old sim off BUT still using a telephone number no one who wishes to contact you knows AND Plusnet are proving slow at actually switching your phone number to the number you have started to port. My two days are up...WHEN DO I GET MY NUMBER BACK

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi adamjmartin,

I'm sorry to hear that this has been the case. If you send me a message I'll be able to take a look into this for you.

- Rebeka Smiley

LetDownby

Well there is a very good question!!   They will tell you it's 48 hours - even yesterday they told me that!!  

We requested a transfer on the 6th December and the number has still not been ported and they refuse to give us any indication of how long it may be!!  Good job I'm not self employed and relying on the number for my work, but there will be plenty of people who are. 

PLUS NET - I suggest you read the European Telecoms Law (Implemented by OFCOM) which states that a Port should be completed within one working day........Here's an extract for you. 

Porting phone numbers

The new regulations require mobile providers to port customers' mobile phone numbers to a new provider within one working day.

Ofcom implemented this on 11 April 2011 for individual mobile numbers and it is now extended to other customers, such as businesses, who want to port a large number of mobile numbers at one time.

For fixed number porting, switching providers involves certain additional steps, such as measures to ensure that customers are protected from slamming (where a customer is switched to another provider without their permission). Providers will have to port fixed numbers within one working day but only after these steps have been completed.

Providers will also have to pay reasonable compensation to customers should they not port the number within one working day, or if there is an abuse of the porting process.

Providers are able to design their own compensation schemes, but Ofcom will review them after 12 months to ensure that they are adequate. Ofcom has suggested that, as a minimum, compensation should be based on the daily line rental rate.

The revised Electronic Communications Framework is intended to ensure more effective and better rights for consumers. Ofcom's statement confirming changes to its regulations can be found here. Ofcom Chief Executive, Ed Richards, said: "These changes to the regulations should make it easier for consumers to take advantage of the wide range of competition in the UK communications market.

Here's the link if anyone wants to review it further...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2011/changes-to-european-telecoms-l...

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Duplicate post removed.

DervMan
Dabbler

From GiffGaff took around 8 hours. 

philioso
Dabbler

They are paying compensation if you ask. The offer seems to be days worth of credit (less than £1 for my 3.5 days downtime). Push and you'll get a bit more more - I'm not very good at that, but was happy enough with the offer, but still angry about my PlusNet mobile experience - I just hope it's all good from here on.

But it doesn't make it right they are quoting two business days when that's not legal.

Even after I settled, the closing statement in discussion "sorry that you were wrongly advised as you should have been advised two working days and not 24 hours".

Nooooo! Not two days!! 24 hours (aka 1 business day) was right! They just screwed up big time!

Goodluck all you porters out there who are still in process.

If I knew what I did now, I'd have looked elsewhere. But I'm here now and fully integrated in to the crazy house that is PlusNet mobile, so I'll run with it and see how we get along.

dickelliott
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I had to wait 8 days for my porting to complete. I was told it would be done very soon, then got texts and emails saying it was imminent, then it was not , then it was then it was not. Numerous calls to support and i was told that my old provider had given me the wrong PAC. Called O2 and they confirmed that the pac was correc and it had gone to plusnet.more alls to support and wasted time, it'll be done in a couple of days. It will be done ......sometime......

Got really fed up and sent an email to plusnet CEO. He replied within a few minutes saying he would set one of his team on it..................HEY HO.... my porting was done within 3 hours of contacting him......Thanks again Andy.

Moral of th story is, go straight to the top if you cannot get a sensible answer from the support guys