cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account in limbo

DiliMadawatNgaN
Grafter

Re: Account in limbo

As far as I can tell the developers have been looking into this for a month already, I simply cannot believe it's such an intractable problem, it's absolutely ridiculous.
DiliMadawatNgaN
Grafter

No change of course, except the plusnet billing machine is not for stopping. I've cancelled the direct debit for this useless account, do you seriously expect to keep billing me for nothing? Worse than nothing of course since my number has been stolen from for all this time. I've just seen an email threatening to charge me a late payment fee, completely insane.

It's obvious nobody at plusnet can fix this so I think it's long past time where you give up and give me a PAC so I can try a proper company. I expect this to be beyond plusnet also. How about refunding me what you've charged already and totally failed to provide? What about the loss of use of my number for all this time?

Beyond disgusting, woeful technical capability and dire customer service.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I understand and appreciate the frustration. I fully plan to provide you with a refund of what you've paid for a service that you haven't had, but we'd do this when the problem is resolved and everything is working.

I suspect that another provider won't be able to port the number while it's in this state and the number may simply be lost forever if they try. I've emailed our operations team to try to find out if this will work. I've also asked exactly where we're at with fixing this.

However, if you've made the decision to leave and you're wanting a PAC I'm happy to generate one for you.

[edit]

I've received a reply back advising that until the issue is fixed, the number will not port out correctly

I'm also told that they're actively working on this problem. As always I'll update you when I know more.

If you would still like to cancel your account/want a PAC, please let me know.

Thanks.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DiliMadawatNgaN
Grafter

Since a port out attempt will fail it's not really a choice is it?

The only choice is to keep waiting and hoping, it's really important that I get this number back, I'm hearing frequently from people who've tried to use it (text or call) so I'm losing out every time.

What I can choose to do is as I have, cancel the direct debit.  This should clearly NOT result in any charges or fees since no service is currently being provided.  What will probably happen instead is an accumulation of fees resulting in plusnet marking the account as in arrears, affecting my credit rating, and probably debt collection attempts.  Please make sure that doesn't happen, or is that impossible too?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry for the delayed response.

Since a port out attempt will fail it's not really a choice is it?

While I appreciate that, I'm just trying to be as open and transparent as possible, providing you with all the information, so you can make an informed decision, because I note that from above you wanted a PAC and to leave.

The only choice is to keep waiting and hoping, it's really important that I get this number back, I'm hearing frequently from people who've tried to use it (text or call) so I'm losing out every time.

I understand that and I'm aware of the length of time this has gone on for and that it's still ongoing. I wish we could to tell you a definitive date when this will be resolved, but I'm afraid this isn't something we can.

I've asked my colleague in our Ops team if there's any way we can ask the system developers to prioritise this, and I'll let you know when I hear back(Likely to be early next week).

What I can choose to do is as I have, cancel the direct debit.  This should clearly NOT result in any charges or fees since no service is currently being provided.  What will probably happen instead is an accumulation of fees resulting in plusnet marking the account as in arrears, affecting my credit rating, and probably debt collection attempts.  Please make sure that doesn't happen, or is that impossible too?

While it's your choice if you'd want to cancel your direct debit instruction or not, this unfortunately won't get the problem fixed any quicker, and I can't influence what will happen if you do, as I believe that the system is automated and may result in your account being cancelled eventually because of the following statements from Here.

"20.2. If you cancel your Direct Debit without contacting us to arrange payment by alternative means, we may assume you want to end our agreement."

and: 

"22.1.5. if you fail to pay for the service, pay using a method other than that which we've agreed with you or you fail to maintain an active Direct Debit on your account (and we haven’t agreed an alternative payment method);"

However, as I've mentioned above:

I fully plan to provide you with a refund of what you've paid for a service that you haven't had, but we'd do this when the problem is resolved and everything is working.

I'll ensure this happens and will be happy to offer you a gesture of goodwill once this is resolved too.

Again I do sincerely apologise for the issues and the inconvenience caused.

Thanks.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DiliMadawatNgaN
Grafter

It comes as no surprise that you're quick to brandish terms and conditions at me.  Cancelling the direct debit is not intended to speed up a solution, it simply reflects that no service is being provided and so no charge should be made.

You mention goodwill occasionally but goodwill would start with "here's a working SIM to use while we sort out our shambles" or at worst "we'll suspend charges while we to sort out our shambles", not issue numbered points giving the grounds you might use to cancel my account, and presumably abandon all efforts to retrieve the lost number.

However:

"20.2. If you cancel your Direct Debit without contacting us to arrange payment by alternative means, we may assume you want to end our agreement."

I've explained clearly why I'm cancelling so any such assumption would be incorrect, and arguably malicious.

"22.1.5. if you fail to pay for the service, pay using a method other than that which we've agreed with you or you fail to maintain an active Direct Debit on your account (and we haven’t agreed an alternative payment method);"

Service?!?  What service?  You've failed to provide any service since 17th August; what insane interpretation of contract law entitles you to continue to take payment when no service is provided?  Two payments have already been taken for what I reckon has amounted to two or three actual days of service provided.  Goodwill again here might have refunded those already, but no such offer has been made.  Instead I'm supposed to wait for an unknowable amount of time and continue to be charged.  Madness doesn't begin to describe it.  I will agree to an alternative payment method if the intransigent system simply cannot be paused: I'll leave the direct debit in place if plusnet immediately refund the charge taken, including the charges already taken, adjusted pro rata for the actual service days right at the beginning if you like.  I already know that you're going to say this won't happen.

I've asked my colleague in our Ops team if there's any way we can ask the system developers to prioritise this

If this problem isn't already a priority then I'm disgusted, and I'm eager to hear about what other problems have been given higher priority.  How many weeks of no service before it gets them to even open an eyelid?  How long after having stolen a business-use number, previously in use for several years, before someone takes notice?

Right, the anger subsides, so I'll thank you once again for your ongoing efforts with this, it seems like nobody else at plusnet is remotely interested.

DiliMadawatNgaN
Grafter

I already posted a reply to this, post number 51, but suspiciously it has now disappeared.  However I have saved the page before it was deleted.  Why was my reply deleted?  Did I breach another spurious forum rule?  Please advise.

DiliMadawatNgaN
Grafter

On the assumption that the forum software is as solid and reliable as the mobile service provision I'll assume error and not intervention and repost:

It comes as no surprise that you're quick to brandish terms and conditions at me. Cancelling the direct debit is not intended to speed up a solution, it simply reflects that no service is being provided and so no charge should be made.

You mention goodwill occasionally but goodwill would start with "here's a working SIM to use while we sort out our shambles" or at worst "we'll suspend charges while we to sort out our shambles", not issue numbered points giving the grounds you might use to cancel my account, and presumably abandon all efforts to retrieve the lost number.

However:

I've explained clearly why I'm cancelling so any such assumption would be incorrect, and arguably malicious.

Service?!? What service? You've failed to provide any service since 17th August; what insane interpretation of contract law entitles you to continue to take payment when no service is provided? Two payments have already been taken for what I reckon has amounted to two or three actual days of service provided. Goodwill again here might have refunded those already, but no such offer has been made. Instead I'm supposed to wait for an unknowable amount of time and continue to be charged. Madness doesn't begin to describe it. I will agree to an alternative payment method if the intransigent system simply cannot be paused: I'll leave the direct debit in place if plusnet immediately refund the charge taken, including the charges already taken, adjusted pro rata for the actual service days right at the beginning if you like. I already know that you're going to say this won't happen.

I've asked my colleague in our Ops team if there's any way we can ask the system developers to prioritise this

If this problem isn't already a priority then I'm disgusted, and I'm eager to hear about what other problems have been given higher priority. How many weeks of no service before it gets them to even open an eyelid? How long after having stolen a business-use number, previously in use for several years, before someone takes notice?

Right, the anger subsides, so I'll thank you once again for your ongoing efforts with this, it seems like nobody else at plusnet is remotely interested.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It comes as no surprise that you're quick to brandish terms and conditions at me.

I'm simply providing you with the facts of what may come to pass if there's no direct debit instruction on your account. To be honest the last thing we want is your account getting cancelled, which may set things back or worse, lose your number.

Cancelling the direct debit is not intended to speed up a solution, it simply reflects that no service is being provided and so no charge should be made.

Unfortunately we can't pause the billing of an account when there's a problem with the service, but we're aware that there's a problem and we're working to fix this as soon as we can.

I appreciate that, however I believe there's no such flag on an account, which may stop automation closing it if there's no active direct debit instruction. As above, I'm just trying to avoid further complications and the potential loss of your number.

Service?!? What service? You've failed to provide any service since 17th August; what insane interpretation of contract law entitles you to continue to take payment when no service is provided? Two payments have already been taken for what I reckon has amounted to two or three actual days of service provided. Goodwill again here might have refunded those already, but no such offer has been made. Instead I'm supposed to wait for an unknowable amount of time and continue to be charged. Madness doesn't begin to describe it. I will agree to an alternative payment method if the intransigent system simply cannot be paused: I'll leave the direct debit in place if plusnet immediately refund the charge taken, including the charges already taken, adjusted pro rata for the actual service days right at the beginning if you like. I already know that you're going to say this won't happen.

As I've already mentioned, we appreciate that you don't have a service and we will refund you for anything you've paid for a service you haven't had once the issue is resolved. I can guarantee that. However, on this occasion I'll work out a refund so far and get the ball rolling next week when I'm back in the office.

If this problem isn't already a priority then I'm disgusted, and I'm eager to hear about what other problems have been given higher priority. How many weeks of no service before it gets them to even open an eyelid?

As far as we're concerned we're dealing with this as a priority, but we do have to rely on our suppliers to fix the problem. I'm unsure as to whether we're able to escalate this with them, but I've asked in the email I sent earlier today.

How long after having stolen a business-use number, previously in use for several years, before someone takes notice?

While I don't like quoting T&C's, I'm afraid they do advise that our mobile service shouldn't be used to run a business.

I already posted a reply to this, post number 51, but suspiciously it has now disappeared. However I have saved the page before it was deleted. Why was my reply deleted? Did I breach another spurious forum rule? Please advise.

I too was a little confused as it disappeared while I was typing this reply, but it looks like it may just be caught in the automated spam filter, so I've flagged this to our moderators to check.

Posting this reply now in the hope that your post is in the spam filter and will find its way back to the right place in your thread once released.

I appreciate your frustration and also possibly understand why you think that no-one cares, but I assure you that this isn't the case.

[edit]

You mention goodwill occasionally but goodwill would start with "here's a working SIM to use while we sort out our shambles" or at worst "we'll suspend charges while we to sort out our shambles", not issue numbered points giving the grounds you might use to cancel my account, and presumably abandon all efforts to retrieve the lost number.

Looks like I missed this in my initial reply.

We're happy to provide with a working SIM, but unfortunately due to the way our system works we cannot do this without creating a fresh account. I think I recall mentioning this a while ago, but I do apologise if I didn't.

If you do want to go ahead with creating a new account to get a working SIM, the quickest way to do that would be to set one up Here.

Thanks.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DiliMadawatNgaN
Grafter

While I don't like quoting T&C's, I'm afraid they do advise that our mobile service shouldn't be used to run a business.

I think with this saga it's pretty clear why you'd want to have that condition.  It's sneakily in there but certainly not made at all clear during the account sign up so I wonder about the enforceability of it, I hope it doesn't come around to getting that determined elsewhere.

We're happy to provide with a working SIM, but unfortunately due to the way our system works we cannot do this without creating a fresh account. I think I recall mentioning this a while ago, but I do apologise if I didn't.

You have mentioned this option, along with pointing out the associated multiple account and credit check risks.  I do not want to have to create a second account, and of course be paying for both, when this is something that a service provider should easily be able to manage.  If the system is too rigid to provide such a substitute service, then, in the light of the failings exposed by this continuing problem, that is perhaps something else which should be resolved.

Thank you for your quick reply, and if you can arrange the refund then, to avoid further antagonising the machines, I will set up the direct debit again so long as the charges can be effectively suspended in this way.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for coming back. 

Sorry I didn’t get a chance to work out and arrange a refund to date today, but I’ll be sure to do this tomorrow.

I received an email back first thing this morning advising that the problem is still in hand with the developers and we’re pusing this as much as possible.

I know it’s frustrating not having a resolution date or even an estimated one, but unfortunately there isn’t anything more we can do to escalate this that we haven’t already done. 

I’ll continue to keep an eye on this and update you when we know more as I’ve effectively taken ownership. 

While I’m happy to continue updating this forum thread, if it’s easier for you I’d be happy to provide my own work email address. Essentially whatever works best for you. 

Thanks,

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've worked out a refund you've paid us so far and requested that our billing team send it back to you. Due to the way our refund cycles work for mobile accounts, we issue BACS refunds every Tuesday, so it should be processed next Tuesday.

I've also applied a credit to your account moving forward to cover the next two invoices which will generate, but I do hope this problem is resolved long before then. I'd recommend re-setting up your direct debit to avoid any further complications.

I'll continue to monitor and chase this for you to bring this to a resolution.

I've also sent you an email with more information.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DiliMadawatNgaN
Grafter

Thank you for arranging the refund, which I look forwards to getting next week, and the account credit, which I can now see when I log in.  I expected it would have half been used to cover the latest bill but that doesn't seem to have happened yet, perhaps it will eventually.

Unfortunately what I couldn't see there was a way to add bank details to reinstate/add a direct debit, and my bank's site has no such option either.  Do you know what's the best way to get this done?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry for the delayed response.

Thank you for arranging the refund, which I look forwards to getting next week, and the account credit, which I can now see when I log in.  I expected it would have half been used to cover the latest bill but that doesn't seem to have happened yet, perhaps it will eventually.

Let me know if you're still seeing this though it's possible that the credit I've applied will come off the next two invoices as opposed to the current one. I'd be happy to send you another refund if needed.

Unfortunately what I couldn't see there was a way to add bank details to reinstate/add a direct debit, and my bank's site has no such option either.  Do you know what's the best way to get this done?

If there's no option for you to add a new direct debit instruction when you login to your account, we'd need to do this over the phone I'm afraid, so I'd recommend calling us on 0800 079 1133 to just set it up.

Alternatively I'd be happy to call you back though I finish at 3pm today. Feel free to PM me the best contact number if you see this before then.

Apologies for the inconvenience this causes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DiliMadawatNgaN
Grafter

New woes with this account, we've called three times now to try to get a direct debit back in place:

• Friday evening: gave previous details which were accepted and the account page showed okay but within the hour was cancelled. I contacted the bank and made sure the DD was reinstated there in case that was blocking it and I can see it listed as active with their site and app
  • Saturday morning: gave previous details again, also accepted, also cancelled again within the hour
  • Saturday afternoon: gave a different bank account details, also accepted, also cancelled again within the hour

So what do I do from here?  It seems unlikely that it's being blocked by two different banks, more likely yet another plusnet system has got it in for me.