cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abroad and smartcap wrongly activated, overcharged

Martinraba

Abroad and smartcap wrongly activated, overcharged

Hi - I am totally perplexed by what Plusnet have just done while I'm travelling. Can someone from the company help? (Live chat is down, there's no contact email and I can't make calls).

Yesterday I spent six hours in Athens (which is roam like home) and then arrived in Cairo. I turned off roaming *before* leaving Athens. In Cairo I turned on data for *five seconds*, literally, in order to activate GPS - as my phone doesn't recognise my GPS location abroad until I've activated a WiFi or 4G.

Despite that usage, Plusnet says the following: *** OUT OF PLAN USAGE
£17.27 1266 MB Data *** hence it's activated my Smart Cap, which was just £20.

The 1266MB thing is self-evidently nonsense. Had I used a gigabyte of data in Egypt, the charge would be hundreds of pounds! Not £17. Besides, my 4G was on for five seconds, which is only enough for a megabyte or two max. And the charges can't be from Athens, because it's roam like home and I'm within my monthly allowance (got 2.77GB left).

The charge makes no sense but how do I get Plusnet to reverse it? I'm now stuck in Cairo relying on WiFi and unable to send SMS or receive calls, which is gonna play havoc with my work. Please help!

PS just realised that 2.77GB + 1.26GB = almost exactly 4GB, which is my monthly allowance. That seems too much of a coincidence. Has their system just got confused and wrongly assumed my total data usage this month was all outside my plan? (I.E. in the UK would I be charged about £17 for 1.26GB extra data?) Still makes no sense if so but at least I'll know what went wrong then.....
15 REPLIES 15
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Abroad and smartcap wrongly activated, overcharged

Hi there.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with your usage abroad.

(For reference, our email address for mobile support is mobile-help@plus.net)

I've had a look into this for you and from what I can see things look correct and your service unrestricted. If you're unable to make calls still or use your service in general, could you reboot your phone handset letting us know how it goes?

Due to data protection in a public forum, I can't explain as much as I'd have liked, but I've sent you a private message which you can reply to with the details I've requested and I'll go into more detail for you.

Thanks,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
2MRS

I'm in Australia. Everything was working 100% until my Smartcap limit was reached. I went online, raised the limit and have texts from Plusnet confirming that. But 72 hours later I can receive calls, but not make any or roam. Via online chat, Plusnet have confirmed I should have full service. But they can't help. I've rebooted, checked APN settings, and have been told it will have to wait till I'm back in the UK!

Not good enough. Everything was OK till Plusnet stopped my service (correctly), but they are washing their hands of owning the problem to get me back on.....,

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @2MRS, thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to hear you are unable to use services there. I'm afraid you would need to make full payment of the amount before the services will resume for outgoing services. You can do this via calling 500 on your mobile.

2MRS

Mads

Thanks for your reply. Sadly it's of no help. I can't make calls so I can't call 500. And in any event I already have texts from Plusnet saying my chargeable services are now available. But they're not.

Right now, my credit card company needs me to text to confirm a transaction is legit, but I can't.  Aargh....

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@2MRS I've checked your account and everything is set as live so you should have no restrictions

There was an issue last night that was resolved which may have been affecting you.

Can you confirm if you're still having problems?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@2MRS wrote:

Right now, my credit card company needs me to text to confirm a transaction is legit, but I can't.  Aargh....

You won't be able to do that if it is a a short code as the PN mobile system doesn't support them.

2MRS

Still the same. I'm registered on to the Telstra network but can't make calls or roam.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@2MRS,

To reiterate my colleagues responses I've checked absolutely everything possible and any restrictions that were on the service are no longer present. Everything's live and active, all roaming and international services are now live again. Would it be possible to reboot the device, if you haven't already, to make sure this isn't keeping the restrictions. 

2MRS

I've rebooted but it makes no difference. Really frustrating as was perfect till the Smartcap stop......

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @2MRS,

I'm very sorry that you are still unable to use your services and for the inconvenience that this is causing you.

To try and resolve this, I have deactivated the services again from here and will be able to reactivate them tomorrow, which should hopefully get everything working again for you. I'll be in touch tomorrow to let you know when the reactivation has gone through.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
2MRS

Thanks for trying! I leave Australia about 6am UK time Tuesday, arriving in the UK about 24hrs later.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @2MRS,

Thank you for getting back in touch, I'm sorry for any inconvenience that this issue caused you during your time away.

I've reactivated your services now and, all being well, everything should be back to working as normal. Please let us know if you continue to experience any problems with using your services.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
2MRS

Emily

I'm now Dubai airport. I have received an email (via wifi) and a text confirming my services have been reactivated.  Except they haven't. The phone registers to a network with great signal. But it won't roam (I am turning wifi off to test that). And if I try to make a call it says 'ringing' but before I get a ringtone it says 'call ended'.

Who knows if it will work in the UK.

I'm probably going to move away from Plusnet soon. This is the second foreign issue I've had. Earlier this year there was no service at all in St Lucia. Both times support have been next to useless and don't seem to realise the hassle this causes.

At least you are trying to help which I appreciate. Thanks.

2MRS

Back in the UK and, guess what, everything works fine. So it surely can only be a Plusnet issue abroad. Why?Huh