cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to port number to PN - What is the best procedure?

FIXED
cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

About to port number to PN - What is the best procedure?

I am now ready to port my old number to PN. What is the best way to do it to minimise the possibility of things going wrong?

I have looked at the Mobile Number Porting – What You Need To Know pinned thread but it doesn't say how to do it.

9 REPLIES 9
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: About to port number to PN - What is the best procedure?

https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/moving-phone-number/

Yes, you can. Just call your old provider and ask for something called a PAC code. Your old mobile number needs to still be active so we can move it to your new Plusnet SIM card.

When you've got your PAC code, either give us a call or text PORT to 07507 307 996 free from your new Plusnet SIM. We'll then send you a text. Just reply to that text with the mobile number you want to keep along with your PAC code.

Your old provider might charge you until you've moved your mobile number over to us, or for any remaining notice period you've got on your agreement with them. We're afraid we can't help you with that because we aren't responsible for those charges.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cjags
Aspiring Pro

Is it better to call Plusnet or use the TXT method?

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Can't say which is better because I used the text method a week or so ago and it just worked. Smiley

Certainly easier than phoning, although there are never any guarantees that you won't be one of the few who have had problems with the process.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

did mine over the phone and was ok.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MichaelWilliams
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 15

All of the aforementioned methods will work, but I'd lean towards doing it over the phone just so you can have human confirmation there and then that everything's gone through as planned.

Alternatively, please feel free to send me a Private Message here and I can get it done here on the forum and oversee the process for you. The choice is yours! Smiley

cjags
Aspiring Pro

Just tried to do it by phoning customer services but ran into 2 problems.

Problem 1: The background chatter at plusnet was louder than the plusnet person who answered the call so it was not easy to make out what was being said.  Also the plusnet helper was having trouble hearing what I was saying.  Sad

Problem 2: I didn't get past the security questions.  Probably because it wasn't easy to hear what I was being asked.

Edit;

Have requested the port via TXT message.

What happens after I reply YES?

Is there confirmation that it is in progress?

Ha! As if by magic, as soon as I post this, a TXT comes through (on both numbers) confirming the request.

MichaelWilliams
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 15

Sorry to hear of the Call Centre issues, I'll do some digging and see what can be done there.

You certainly should receive a confirmation text when the port request has been confirmed. It sounds like everything's gone through fine, but If you'd like me to bring up your account and make sure, give me a shout Smiley

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Your next text message should read like this:

'Hello your number port will complete soon. You might have a short period of disruption to your service, but turning your phone off and on again every so often will help.'

You won't get one which actually confirms you can definitely pour yourself a G&T in celebration (not in my case anyway), but it did go through with no problems.
cjags
Aspiring Pro

Fix

Old number stopped working about 10am and at 13:12 I got the 'Hello your number port will complete soon' text.  Switch had completed by 13:30 voice and data.  All good. Smiley