Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APN settings defaulted to ORANGE!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

APN settings defaulted to ORANGE!

I've had my PN sim working in an EE unlocked phone for some while but just today got a brand new SIM-Free phone.

Put my PN SIM in it, calls & SMS worked but no dataSad. Had a look at the default APN's and I've got 3 ORANGE! APN's , an Orangebroadband , OrangeInternet and OrangeMMSShocked. Disabled those and added an EE one and data now ok.

Would someone from PlusNet care to explain where the Orange ones came from ? the SIM is the only place I can think, since they can't be deleted.

Could the fact that the SIM's appear to have an identity crisis have anything to do with the lack of roaming in some countries?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

22 REPLIES 22
SarahStewart
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 6

Re: APN settings defaulted to ORANGE!

Hi 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@SarahStewart I'm not convinced you're correct with that explanation Sarah!Huh

for your information I queried my SIM data using adb (android debug bridge) and got the following ( some unique numbers removed for security)

[gsm.serial]: [A6J1xxxxx                                                10 ]
[gsm.sim.operator.alpha]: [plusnet]
[gsm.sim.operator.default-name]: [Orange]
[gsm.sim.operator.imsi]: [23433653nnnnnnn]
[gsm.sim.operator.iso-country]: [gb]
[gsm.sim.operator.numeric]: [23433]

From the latest list of MCC ( Mobile country code ) and MNC ( Mobile network code ) codes (go to http://mcc-mnc.com/ and search for united kingdom) I get the following

235 02 gb United Kingdom 44

Everyth. Ev.wh.

234 33 gb United Kingdom 44 Everyth. Ev.wh./Orange
234 34 gb United Kingdom 44 Everyth. Ev.wh./Orange
234 31 gb United Kingdom 44 Everyth. Ev.wh./T-Mobile
234 30 gb United Kingdom 44 Everyth. Ev.wh./T-Mobile
234 32 gb United Kingdom 44 Everyth. Ev.wh./T-Mobile

As you can see the from the MCC of 234 and the MNC of 33 the SIM is basically a legacy Orange SIM.

I believe that better explains why my phone gets a default APN of Orange!

As I said earlier, I am suspicious that this SIM identity issue is contributing to roaming problems in some countries ( notably Croatia! form other posts ) since the roaming network will use it to identify the home network.

For example, they may well have a roaming agreement with EE, but if they identify the home network as Orange , they may not believe they have an agreement and thus prohibit any connection.

Maybe your OPS people would like to comment ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

What about all the EE customers who originated on Orange or T-Mobile? Surely they'd have the same problem?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

A good point!. Whether PlusNet being an MVNO complicates the situation I don't know?

They obviously ( from some of the posts on here ) have roaming problems in some countries.

SarahStewart
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@SarahStewart any news back from the OPS team ?

We seem to have had a similar occurence here https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Huawei-e585-mifi-connecting-to-plusnet-as-t-mobile-but-no-data/... except that in this case the SIM defaulted to T-Mobile APNs.

I'm disappointed that the support line weren't even aware of the potential problem and weren't able to offer any advice whatsoeverShocked

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

any news back from the OPS team ?

I'll take that as a NO then...

SarahStewart
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi 

SarahStewart
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MisterW

We've now had a response from our Operations Team regarding the above issue. 

We do identify as Orange.As a result we are reaching out to confirm if we can access the same roaming agreements as EE, but for the time being we cannot access all of them.However we do offer roaming in multiple countries in our Roam Like at Home agreement and other countries outside of this. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

.As a result we are reaching out to confirm if we can access the same roaming agreements as EE, but for the time being we cannot access all of them

@SarahStewart thank you for the response. So which ones can we access ?

Can you confirm that all the EU countries are accessible ? I believe you need to do that at least, in order to meet the EU Roam like at home requirement.

SarahStewart
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem, 

I'll certainly request this information for you and get back to you once we have a response 

bobboulby
Grafter

I've come across this thread as it was linked from a thread I started about roaming not working in Andorra. I've checked the APN on my phone and it is labelled "EE Internet" however the MCC and MNC fields are set to 234 and 33 respectively.

Not sure if this helps or not Huh

Bob.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Bob, The APN settings shouldn't affect the basic ability to roam, only any data connection and AFAIK the MNC in the APN must agree with that on the SIM.

What I was eluding earlier to is that the MNC encoded in the IMSI is actually Orange rather than EE and so when the remote network tries to negotiate a roaming connection it's getting rejected.

bobboulby
Grafter

Ok, so could this explain my problem or is it a red herring?
Bob.