cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ANOTHER Porting Disaster.

sharpecd
Dabbler

ANOTHER Porting Disaster.

PORTING FROM TALKMOBILE - 10 DAYS AND STILL NO PORT. 

Wish I'd read some of the comments here about porting before I fell for the PlusNet lies about customer service. 

I started my port on  Saturday the 4th November, using the text service. I got sensible replies, all seemed well. Expected it to be complete by say Tuesday night (assuming nobody works at thw weekend...!). Nothing. Not a dicky bird. After contacting PlusNet using 500 on Tuesday night, I got the response"there's a problem, but Operations are dealing with it, don't worry, it will happen soon".

On Tuesday 8th November, my old number stopped working. But no change on the PLusNet SIM. 

Since then, other than one single text message saying  "there;s a poblem" a day so  later, I rhave eceived no further information from PN. I've had to ring them (3 times I think, now). Every time I get the same response. I tried to ask why - what's the problem? The agents I talk to have no idea, all they know is "it's being dealt with". I asked them to try and find out more - refusal.

On Monday 13th November I phoned again to ask for an update. Same response, of course.

I asked how to make a formal complaint. The agent would not tell me, and said I would need to speak to their manager. The agent went to get him, came back a minute later saying the the manager was busy, but would ring me back shorty. Nothing. No call from anyone. 

Still no change as of today Wednesday 15th November. I've just completed a chat session with an agent, who of course was not able to tell me anything useful at all. Quote: "It is very unlikely that this will go on much longer".

I can only hope that my frequent queries cause some flags to be raised - but I doubt it. 

If I was totally dependent on a mobile number (many are, nowadays) then this would be a complete disaster. As it is, I'm seriously inconvenienced. But what I find really, really frustrating is that nobody seems to care, and there's nothing I can do about the problem. Given the difference between the published intention (1-2 days) and the reality, I'd have expected senior management involvement after a week, an explanation of the cause sent to me, and at least daily updates to both phone numbers. 

I will of course be makng an offical complaint and put review comments on as many public channels as possible, in the hope that others aren't fooled by PN and take their business elsewhere. 

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ANOTHER Porting Disaster.

I think you wrote a clear and accurate summary of Plusnet's performance since they announced  -

Changes to Digicare/Complaints & Introducing Customer Relations

Before then the support on this forum was excellent, and staff took ownership of problems until they were solved.

Listing your points (which many here will have experienced) -

@sharpecd wrote:

...  PlusNet lies about customer service.

...  I got sensible replies, all seemed well...   ....   then   ... ... Nothing. Not a dicky bird.

...  a day so  later, I have received no further information from PN.

...  I've had to ring them (3 times I think, now). Every time I get the same response.

...  I asked them to try and find out more - refusal.

...  I asked how to make a formal complaint. The agent would not tell me,

...  the manager was busy, but would ring me back shorty. Nothing. No call from anyone. 

...  just completed a chat session with an agent, who of course was not able to tell me anything

...  I can only hope that my frequent queries cause some flags to be raised - but I doubt it. 

...  what I find really, really frustrating is that nobody seems to care

... there's nothing I can do about the problem.

...  I'd have expected senior management involvement after a week, an explanation of the cause sent to me, and at least daily updates to both phone numbers.

... I will of course ... ... put review comments on as many public channels as possible, in the hope that others aren't fooled by PN and take their business elsewhere. 

Yes many of us have been there, done that.

The problem is that many of us still here assumed that this terrible state of affairs can't go on much longer, or get worse. But it does.

Even before reading your post, I was thinking of writing a new topic pointing out that there are virtually no Plusnet staff actually answering customer's questions on this forum in recent days.

Unfortunately this forum has become the last resort for many, because as you have pointed out phoning is a waste of time, chat is either unavailable or you get to interact with an untrained agent who can't help.

Oh, if only there was a support ticket system, staffed by people who knew what they were doing, like there was up until two years ago !

The only answer is to leave, as we've given Plusnet enough time to recruit more staff, replace their billing system, reinstate the download traffic prioritization, return the online support ticket facility, upgrade to IPv6, secure their email servers, stop overcharging "Market-A" exchange customers, allow online payments, and employ someone who knows what they are doing to rewrite this awful forum, and to stop trying to be the cheapest ISP on the market.

Good luck with your porting problem, and lets hope that they haven't lost your mobile number, as has happened to other customers !.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Insult aimed at staff removed as per Forum rules.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi sharpecd,

Thanks for taking the time out to get in touch with us. 

I'm sorry to hear about the delay with your port in. The port-in process takes up to 1 working day when processed before 6pm on a weekday or up to 2 working days when processed after 6pm to complete; there will be some disruption on the network in the meantime, but this is part of the process. 

On rare occasions, ports can become 'stuck' during the transfer stage, and if this happens, it's automatically raised with our Operations Team to be investigated and resolved as soon as possible. 

I can assure you sharpecd, that at this stage, the Team will be working to implement a fix and get you up and running as quickly as possible. 

If you would like to send me a Private Message with your details, I can check your account to see if there are any updates regarding this.

- Rebeka 

sharpecd
Dabbler

" I can check your account to see if there are any updates regarding this."

Thanks for the offer... and I'll try it out.... but based on the many conversations so far with your well-meaning colleagues, I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to get any useful information about my problem by checking my account other than "Operations are dealing with it". Operations seem to be a black hole, which the PlusNet Customer Service department seem to know nothing about. 

And anyway.... shouldn't I hear any updates regarding this problem automatically and immediately? 

Nibiru's comments about lost numbers filled me with even more dread. So I'm now making contingency plans to immediately move away from PlusNet should that happen. 

Fortunately, the nature of my job means that I'm in a position to advise others on the truth about the PlusNet "Award Winning Service", and perhaps help them avoid the PlusNet experience. 

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for sending the Private Message sharpecd. I have picked this up and will respond shortly. 

- Rebeka 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sharpecd wrote:

Operations seem to be a black hole, which the PlusNet Customer Service department seem to know nothing about.

Operations has always been a black hole - and that will never change.

The problem now is that the entire of Plusnet support is a black hole, sucking in ever increasing problems but rarely even being bothered to give the slightest response, let alone resolving them.

You would think with so many customers having the same problems day-in day-out over and over again, that Plusnet would change their systems so that the most common problems don't reoccur.  But no, they claim (for years) to be trying to recruit more support staff to answer the phones, when they should be investing in engineers to stop the rot and to keep up with evolving changes in technology.

@sharpecd wrote:

I'm now making contingency plans to immediately move away from PlusNet 

You and me both !.

I've been here 18 years, the service used to be excellent, but over the years Plusnet have been slowly but surely removing one feature at a time, until now what was a perfectly good working system is now stripped to the bone, barely alive, and since the removal of download traffic prioritization is no longer fit for purpose.

It is very disappointing that Plusnet staff have not responded to any of my recent forum topics, that either ask for help, or constructive suggestions on how their service could be improved.

Personally I try and choose service providers (for anything) who are innovative, appear to be reinvesting for a better future, and have support staff that answer difficult questions promptly and adequately.  Plusnet used to be like that, but since 2014 it seems they have gone downhill rapidly, with no signs of recovering from it's current death spiral.  With all support channels now being virtually useless, I really can't see any future staying here, it's not like Plusnet is even competitive on price because of it's rip-off "Market-A" pricing.

In the last few weeks, having spent time researching five alternative landline and broadband providers, I have been encouraged that when I've phoned their technical support departments (not the prioritized sales teams),  that in EVERY case my call has been answered within 20 seconds and I got to speak to someone who was technically competent and with whom I had faith that they understood what I was asking and what the most appropriate solution would be.  Similarly with emails, in most cases I've not had time to go and make a cup of coffee, before a comprehensive reply arrived back in my INBOX.  Compare that with Plusnet, where it is now rare to be able to even establish contact within a reasonable time, and when you do it is now virtually impossible to talk to an experienced engineer, or anyone competent at their job.

Cry

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is, that when you've spent ages quantifying a problem, collecting evidence, and coming up with a solution, then giving feedback or asking for help, but  NOTHING HAPPENS ... EVER,  then at first you feel ignored.

When you have put forward HUNDREDS of suggestions over the years, and still nothing gets done, then you come to realize that Plusnet are not listening and really don't care what their customers think,  BUT at least posting something on a public forum might help other customers - of whom many of the regulars here feel like friends who would appreciate the heads up.

Eventually, as Plusnet persist in the self destruction of what was a perfectly good service, and customer support no longer responding adequately to anyone,  you realize that posting on this forum is the only way to warn new customers to avoid coming here, and possibly shame Plusnet management in to realizing what a disaster this is turning into from the customer's perspective.

All that many of us want, is to stop Plusnet's decline, preferably with constructive suggestions and observations.  But now Plusnet appear to have gone deaf and don't even respond to desperate customers cries for help, then it shows that something has gone very wrong and that the current management strategy isn't working.  It doesn't even appear that Plusnet are implementing the suggestions from the newly formed group of Plusnet chosen "Super Users",  so what hope is there for anyone else ?.

Prove me wrong and try answering these simple questions -

When will traffic prioritization get reinstated on ADSL connections ? - as it is now barely usable.

When are you expecting IPv6 to be applied to all connections ?

When is the new billing system due to go live ?

When will the Plusnet Service Status page improve so that it shows all current issues in a timely manner ?

When will the support ticket system be reinstated ?

When are you expecting all the outstanding functionality problems with this forum to be fixed ?

When will you accept PayPal as a payment method ?

When are you expecting to have trained support staff who have self initiative and technically competent ?

When are Plusnet going to resolve their broadband connectivity routing issues ?

When will Plusnet fix their DNS servers so they don't break every few weeks ?

When will Plusnet upgrade to secure email ?

Why do Plusnet not have support hours that coincide with residential customers expectations ?

Why does Plusnet's call centre not show a known CALLER ID when calling a customer ?

Why do the same problems never get resolved, year after year ?

When will Plusnet stop blaming their suppliers, and do something about it like RevK does at AAISP.

Why can't customers come back to Plusnet using the same username, if they downgraded to email only ?

Why is it so hard to find customer support phone numbers on the website, other ISPs have one number.

Why is the Plusnet website so slow ?, it gives a bad impression when the homepage takes 40s to load !

Why do so many features keep being removed, when those were the things that made staying worthwhile !

OK I'm bored now (and I know I'm wasting my time), and I still have a long list of other things that used to be fine but are now hopeless.

If Plusnet actually listened to customers and invested in improving the service instead of relentlessly cutting back functionality,  we wouldn't be in the situation now where the list of reasons to leave is so immense that it is laughable.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I completely understand and appreciate that you are not the right person to answer these questions, and did before I wrote them out.

The problem is that those questions HAVE been asked over and over, in the correct area of the forum, but no member of staff EVER gives a constructive reply, and NOTHING EVER gets done to resolve these and many other problems.

What is your advice for us customers to get Plusnet staff to actually make changes to your systems, so we don't have to endure your long time and increasingly broken service ?.

Please don't suggest sending a PM to front line staff, as they immediately put their hands up and say -

"IT'S OUR SUPPLIERS FAULT",

"COMPUTER SAYS NO",

"I'VE ADDED IT TO THE LIST" (of things which never get fixed)

"I'LL HAVE A LOOK NEXT TIME I'M IN THE OFFICE" (but never do)

or more recently simply don't reply.

Is there someone in your organization, who's job it is to look at the complaints, and initiate structural changes to your systems, so that problems don't repeat themselves ?, and if so why aren’t they making themselves known on the forum ?

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We do have different departments such as Complaints to deal with queries that have escalated to this level however, all issues must first be raised with Customer Service, followed with the Complaints process and dealt with accordingly. 

The Mobile Complaints Team, are not at a network level to implement any changes to the systems, nor are they a part of the Social Media Team in order to respond to complaints via this platform. The Mobile Complaints process begins with an arranged manager callback, followed by escalation to the Complaints Team, if not resolved by the manager. 

Each department has its own Complaints Team and If you would like to raise a complaint regarding the questions you have raised, you would need to contact the Broadband/Landline Team first, who can then escalate this for you on your behalf. 

- Rebeka 

sharpecd
Dabbler

17 DAYS... STILL NO NUMBER PORT. 

Just thought I'd provide an update on progress... there is none. 

I have a nice young lady from PlusNet  phoning me every 2 days (she offered), but the message is always the same - we're waiting for Operations to do something about it. 

Meanwhile, I've already had a significant problem because I wanted to do a bank transaction and guess what, they sent a security code to my "old" number.... 

I still find it incredible that no-one in PlusNet seems able to escalate anything when the service to the customer is as disgraceful as this.

sharpecd
Dabbler

PS Rebeka, I do want to raise a formal complaint, you mention the broadband team (!?!) please tell me how to get in touch and start the formal complaint process. 

RJM
Rising Star

@shapecd

You have the patience of a saint!

I really would have given-up after 48hrs. and taken my business elsewhere.

I recently left Three to Sky mobile and my number was "ported" within 12 hrs.

MichaelWilliams
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 15

Hello sharpecd.

I've replied to your other thread here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Problems-porting-number/m-p/1492976#M7084, but please do Private Message me if there's anything else I can do for you.