cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Digit Numbers not supported - My Bank Payments are failing because of PLUSNET!

oscarandjo

5 Digit Numbers not supported - My Bank Payments are failing because of PLUSNET!

I recently made some purchases online, and my bank NatWest occasionally send Text Messages from a 5-digit number asking if a transfer is legitimate or not. To this text, I need to reply Y if it's a legitimate purchase, or N if it's banking fraud.

But apparently PlusNet Mobile does not support 5-digit numbers, so I can't reply! 

As a result, multiple transactions have not gone through, this has made me waste a lot of time calling up companies and asking them to attempt the payment again, or cancelling and remaking orders.

This isn't the first time this has been annoying.

Here are all the instances of things going wrong because of plusnet's lack of 5-digit number support:

Banking Confirmations

NHS Appointment confirmations

PayPal confirmations

I CAN'T OPT-OUT FROM DOMINOS ADVERTISING TEXTS, BECAUSE I CAN'T TEXT "STOP" BACK TO THEM!

I'm really starting to get annoyed at this problem. It's inexcusable when so many services use 5-digit numbers.

19 REPLIES 19
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: 5 Digit Numbers not supported - My Bank Payments are failing because of PLUSNET!

@oscarandjo

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but it does state quite clearly in Plusnet's legal bit on their Sim only deals:

Premium texts
  • Plusnet Mobile does not support premium or short code text services.

This was the one reason why I did not sign up for their mobile sim only deals, even though I have had my broadband service with them for over 9 years!

Brian

Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
oscarandjo

Re: 5 Digit Numbers not supported - My Bank Payments are failing because of PLUSNET!

Fair enough, but I did not even know this was something I needed to check for, since every other provider supports all phone numbers, there was no reason/precedent to assume otherwise.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is there an equivalent to https://www.saynoto0870.com/ which maps short codes to full numbers?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
oscarandjo

I don't think so, no.

Grezzer36
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I think most "virtual" networks don't support 5 digit text numbers. I know for sure that ADSA (EE) mobile don't. Amongst other things you can't do text donations to Children in Need etc, as well as banking security texts you mention. The very cheap prices are always tempting for these networks but this is becoming a bigger & bigger drawback of them. 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

You would think that those begging for money would have alternative methods to fund their shareholders & directors...

Oops, wrong topic Embarrassed

Joanne

The British Transport Police emergency text number is 61016 which is text equivalent of calling 101or 999. You use it if you need to contact police but are unable or unwilling to be heard calling.  Plus net doesn't support this number even though it is a national number. It is totally unacceptable and plus net can't provide a reasonable explanation.  I've complained to Ofcom. 

oscarandjo

That to me sounds like something that would be illegal under the 2010 Equality Act, considering the transport police's deaf service is being blocked by Plusnet, and deaf people are a group protected by the Equality act.

Perhaps this argument could sway their opinion, as if you are right, this completely prevents deaf people who cannot make phone calls from contacting the police.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I think you misunderstand what 61016 is, it's a non-emergency text number.

Also every PN customer is treated the same - they can't use it Roll_eyes
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
OliGaffney
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 7

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that we are not the only network who don't have access to short codes and it is fairly common among MVNOs.

It is something which we have fed back multiple times that our customers would like, but currently EE aren't allowing us access to this service.

We do understand that more and more companies are beginning to use the short code facility, so we will continue to suggest that this is implemented in the hope that it will be in the future!

Thank you

-Oli

Joanne

That's helpful to know, thank you

Joanne

What is a MVNO.?

What other networks don't have it?

Why are EE denying access?

You need to do more than suggest access. You should be robustly pursuing it. 

I have written to both your CEO and OFCOM.

ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@Joanne

MVNO - Mobile Virtual Network Operator.

These are operators (Tesco, Plusnet, ASDA, GiffGaff to name but four) that piggy back off the main mobile network providers e.g. EE, O2, Three & Vodafone.

Brian

Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
LivRobinson
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi Joanne!

An MVNO is a Mobile Virtual Network Operator, meaning we do not use our own network infrastructure, but use that of EE.
EE are the MNO meaning Mobile Network Operator and own and control the network.

Of course, I cannot comment on the kind of access that other MVNO's have on the network they use, and cannot publish a list of providers that do not support a certain feature.

The agreement we have with EE is a contractual one, and short code SMS access is not currently something that is in this contract, and therefore not something we have the access to. As Oli has advised, though, we have fed this back and this is something that will be reviewed in the future. This is not, however, a guarantee of short codes being supported in the future, but we will be sure to update each and every one of our customers if this is something we start offering Smiley 

I will advise that although you cannot send an SMS to 61016, we do support emergency SMS to 999. This can be done by sending the word 'register' to 999, and you will receive an SMS reply confirming that you are registered to use this service if ever needed in future. This way, if the Emergency Services are needed but you are unable to call, you will be able to send an SMS instead Smiley

Of course,
we are fully regulated by OFCOM, they are aware of our codes of practice and short code SMS support is not a legal or even an industry requirement. If OFCOM regulation did ever dictate that this was a requirement, it would be addressed accordingly.

Once again, I am very sorry that this has caused some inconvenience, Joanne, and I can completely understand your concerns. I assure you they will be passed on as all feedback helps us to continually grow and develop as a company.

Thanks
-Liv

Liv Robinson
 Plusnet Help Team