cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Reception

AdamK

4G Reception

Hello,

I've just switched to PlusNet from Vodafone.  At work I could always get 4G, but since I switched over, I can only get 3G.  This doesn't seem right to be.  What can I do?

Adam K

12 REPLIES 12
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: 4G Reception

Hi Adam,

Thanks for getting in touch.

If you put your postcode into this website here, it will give you an idea of the 4G coverage you should expect in your area on the EE (our supplier's) network. If the coverage shows that you should have strong 4G signal, drop us a PM with your full name, full address and mobile number and we'll take a look at this for you.

Best wishes

Dave

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a problem using the EE coverage site as PlusNet does not have/use the full EE signal as the 800 Hhz is not used so it is not a true example

My friend is on EE and sometimes she gets a full 4G signal when I get a 3G on PlusNet same phone so the signal must be not so good

There are many post posts on here about poor PlusNet   4G coverage just do a search

Brian A

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Plusnet have their own coverage checker https://www.plus.net/mobile/coverage-checker 

It's been stated on here some while ago that it allows for the lack of access to the 800 MHz band but I have my doubts!

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Link fixed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AdamK

Thanks, Randall -- according to your link, my reception at work should be "Excellent", but kept dipping to 3G and occasionally up to 4G - it's right in the centre of London, about three minute's from Blackfriars.  Right now I'm at home and the PlusNet says my coverage is "Very Good", but - again - it keeps dipping to 3G, a problem I never had with Vodafone.  I chose PlusNet because of its combination of a good tariff and its coverage with EE.  Have I made a mistake?

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

I wouldn't rely on the EE coverage checker at all. I'm on a  BT Mobile (EE) contract and the coverage checker indicates very good 4G at my postcode (rural Staffordshire), indoors and outdoors. No chance, 3G yes but not 4G.

In comparison, I also have a Three sim on p.a.y.g. which has no problem with 4G at my postcode.

The link to PN's shows their coverage checker non existant, "no such page".

AdamK

I actually looked into Three, but their own coverage checker showed poor coverage down in the New Forest, where I spend a lot of time.  Also, they have a strange blackspot in Barnsbury, where my sister lives, which I find most curious.

The PlusNet link doesn't seem to work when you just click on it -- I copied and pasted it into my browser, instead, and it worked fine there

Adam K

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi newagetraveller

I've spent many hours working in rural Staffordshire beautiful countryside

Three mobile coverage has improved over the last few year I like yourself find it excellent

Try

https://www.plus.net/mobile/coverage-checker/

Brian A

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting in touch @AdamK

We can certainly look into this further but I'm afraid I can't guarantee we'll be able to resolve the issue as it may not be within our control.

So we can investigate further can you PM me the following?

• Your mobile number or account number
  • Your full address and postcode
  • Your full name and if you're the account holder?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Strat thanks for fixing my link. I'm in the wilds of Devon at the moment, working from an Android  tablet and copy & paste doesn't seem to work too well since the recent forum updates.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

japitts
Rising Star

@MisterW wrote:

Plusnet have their own coverage checker https://www.plus.net/mobile/coverage-checker 

It's been stated on here some while ago that it allows for the lack of access to the 800 MHz band but I have my doubts!

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Link fixed.

I've checked a couple of areas I know that only have 4G on 800Mhz, and the PlusNet map does correctly state "zero coverage" (as does Virgin Mobile, for what it's worth)

The EE checker does have an issue with reporting "excellent 3G coverage" for random postcodes in the Scottish Highlands where there isn't any, but the map gives the game away.

AdamK

Hi, forgive me for being ignorant, but I suppose this would be a good time for me to ask:  What is meant when people here refer to "800Mhz"?  I'm obviously not the most technical savvy person, but I didn't think that it would be such an issue and I'm mystified.

Thanks,

Adam K

japitts
Rising Star

EE use several different frequencies for their 4G coverage, 800, 1800, 2100 & 2600Mhz. The coverage from 1800, 2100 & 2600, which is the bulk of the network, is available to all EE & MVNO customers to use.

800Mhz is used to extend coverage mainly in rural and indoor locations, but for technical reasons is only available to "4G calling" devices, which PlusNet (or any other MVNO) doesn't have access to.

Depending where you live, work and travel, this may or may not be a problem.