Did you mean: 

4G Plusnet router ..?

FIXED
ekimrob
Grafter
Fixes: 1

4G Plusnet router ..?

Hi

I have started to work from home and all is working well... However it might not continue  and I am wondering if the broadband went down , i should plan for an alternative now ...

Do plusnet do one and what are cost implications?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mike

4 REPLIES 4
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: 4G Plusnet router ..?

Plusnet don't do 4G broadband.

However, Three, EE, and Vodafone do all now offer unlimited data SIM deals. You can get them with or without a 4G router.

The coverage and speed for each will depend on your location, so it can be worth trying a PAYG SIM to check before locking yourself into a contract.

Some routers allow you to use 4G as a backup, and some allow you to load balance your ADSL/VDSL with 4G.

I used Three for a couple of years as they were first to offer unlimited data, but they have got progressively slower since Christmas. I have now changed to EE, and am enjoying the connection being at least 7 times as fast as my ADSL2+ which I no longer use. The EE SIM is about the same price as Plusnet ADSL2+, and Three are even cheaper.

If you just want it as a backup in case your broadband goes down, consider getting an unlimited data phone SIM for your phone as you can tether it to a suitable router should you need to - that avoids paying for a SIM as a backup that you never use. 

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

My Plusnet SIM worked in a router when I did some tests last year.  The speed was good, but their tariffs don't really suit that sort of usage.  If you can get a decent signal on Three I suggest looking at Smarty where you can get unlimited for £20/month, or 30Gig for £10/month.   You can test with a free Three PAYG SIM which will come pre-loaded with 200meg of data.  Just about enough for a couple of speed tests.

If it's just as an emergency measure Plusnet do support tethering, so if your broadband is down you can tether your work machine to your phone. 

ekimrob
Grafter

Fix

Thank you for your help , advice and quick response much appreciated.

ekimrob
Grafter

Thank you for your help and advice. It was appreciated.