Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G vs 4G plusnet network selection

DafOwen
Grafter
Fixes: 2

3G vs 4G plusnet network selection

I seem to have an issue where my phone perpetually selects the 3G plusnet network rather than 4G, even when manually set.

On my old phone (Sony Z5 compact) I'd regularly only get H+ after coming out of a non-coverage area (e.g. London Underground) was very agrovating but thought it was the phone's fault.
Eventually found that switching 4G on/off would sometimes fix it.

Now on a Google Pixel 6
Similar happens.
Last week had a day where no matter what I'd do (inc 2 restarts) - the phone would not get anything more than H+
So I eventually gave in and called Plusnet tech support in case their network was at issue (checked status page).

After a couple options (take sim out etc) I followed instructions of manually selecting the network - and sure enough - seems i was connected to 3G plusnet not 4G plusnet.
So automatic network selection off - I thought that would be the end of it.

But No - when coming above ground the phone will now almost perpetually select 3G plusnet network rather than 4G plusnet network....

Is there a way I can fix this ? (Pixel 6)
On the earlier Tech call they offered a new Sim - would this fix it ?

5 REPLIES 5
DafOwen
Grafter

Re: 3G vs 4G plusnet network selection

Hmm - this network sounds somewhat similar - they seem to be blaming it on pixel 7
https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Preferred-network-type-4G-recommended-option-missing-Pixel-7-Pr...

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

We could try a new sim and see if it fixes it. By the sounds of it, all other troubleshooting seems to have been tried. If that doesn't fix it we would have to raise it to the back end to see what's going on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
DafOwen
Grafter

I've put it back onto automatically select network again and it's behaved a bit better.

The Tech support person that helped me out initially just called with a follow up - he's going to send me a new Sim just in case it helps.

DafOwen
Grafter

Unfortunately the new Sim hasn't fixed it.
Doesn't happen all the time.
At least I now know if I'm only on H+ after being underground I can swap it back manually.
Not the end of the world, but bit of a pain

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @DafOwen Sorry that's still an issue for you, that must be really annoying.

Mind sending over a PM with your full name and mobile number please? 

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team