cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2g only when roaming

Emsorc
Hooked

2g only when roaming

I'm travelling in Germany with my husband we are both with Plusnet. Neither of us have had issues before when roaming but for some reason my husband can only get 2g whereas I'm sitting next to him with 4g. We've turned off the phone, did a sim card swap, when I put my husband's sim card in my phone I couldn't get a signal at all just an E where the 4g sign is. This test showed it's a sim issue not the phone.
We have done all the resets possible we can think of. Another oddity we are showing on different networks. We've tried manually changing the network but we get a pop up saying unable to use this function at this time. My husband's phone has been like it for last 2 days. Any ideas on how we can get the speed increased? My husband would have posted himself but he's not able to access the Plusnet app because the network is too slow.
We would be grateful for any suggestions, my husband can't survive without his activity centre!!
4 REPLIES 4
Geordiemanc

Re: 2g only when roaming

Same problem for me connecting from Norway.
Can manually change networks to one of the two local 4G ones but still only end up with 2G Edge signal.
Reset several times, new APN set up but still no change.
tamarin64
Dabbler

I am having the same issue in the Czech Republic. Have contacted support who have done some troubleshooting and offered compensation but unfortunately could not resolve the issue. I was advised to 3 tests two hours apart in different locations and a technical ticket can be opened on that basis (and to also try a different handset).

Have you had any luck resolving this issue?
Emsorc
Hooked

Hi! So following a recent return trip to Germany my husband still has this issue with his mobile data only being 2G.
When we were in Germany last, we swapped our SIM cards into each others phones to see if it was a phone or SIM issue. With my husband's SIM in my phone he still only had 2G whereas I had 4G using my SIM in his phone. So definitely the SIM that's the issue.
My husband did speak with Plusnet and they thought there was an issue with his SIM and sent him a new one.
I can't comment if this fixed the situation as he still hasn't changed the SIM card.
He travels to France regularly and the SIM works fine there. It was only recently on another trip to Germany that he had the same issues again and it was revealed he hadn't changed the SIM. Until he puts the new SIM in and that solution is tested I can't comment further.
Best of luck, you have a solution soon.
tamarin64
Dabbler

Hi all,

if you are still having this issue, please post to the this thread: https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile-Tech-Help/Unable-to-access-4G-services-whilst-roaming/m-p/18637...

I am trying to gain some traction on this and hopefully get Plusnet to at least acknowledge this and start investigating this.