Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10GB used in half a day - HOW?!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 10GB used in half a day - HOW?!

@brianpeter wrote:

What sort of use? Just browsing, emails etc, or games and movies ?

Browsing looking at Ebay ,Plusnet Community, checking emails, checking banking account transferring money ,played a little music on youtube etc 

On the tablet played a free games much like we do at home

No movies 

Just a thought have you got a normal laptop you could try ? 

HD

brianpeter
Dabbler

Thanks. Pretty much what I do really.

Normal?! How dare you 😆.

I've got an old Windows 8 laptop which I keep for converting CDs to FLAC.  I'll fire it up and have a look, although it'll take a while to re-adjust to Windows... 😕

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@brianpeter 

To return to an earlier post I note that the MacBook Pro has a very high resolution screen. Having this extra bandwidth makes me wonder whether the Mac has reverted to downloading at the maximum resolution/refresh rate, for example, I understand that you tube can download in 4K. This requires about 20Mbps, that is 9GB per hour. Have you checked your video settings?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

brianpeter
Dabbler

I haven't, but during the very few hours when all this data was used up I didn't go to Youtube at all.

It's baffling. By default I keep switched off everything that can be switched off, and I've double checked so I know there was no background updating going on. I've got 14 days to cancel this 20GB card, which evidently isn't nearly enough for a month's even fairly light internet access, by which time at this rate I'll have used all the data anyway, but hopefully whatever it is will have resolved before then.

Now I've had a taste of decent internet speeds I'm loathe to go back to BT's 1.3MB, and am edging towards EE's 160GB plan or even the 200GB for just £3 more, and forget the budget. The cat will have to do without chicken some days...   Hopefully this will be resolved before I have to make the 2 year commitment.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@brianpeter  have you tried connecting to the router management GUI and checking the usage on its 'Statistics' pages ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

brianpeter
Dabbler

I've got the HiLink app on my phone, but the router has been reset a few times so the usage shown isn't accurate. I can't a way into the router from the laptop. I found a number which opens the login page - 192.168.33.1 - but it never logs in, just stops a little way along the progress bar. I've been checking my usage on the account usage page.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@brianpeter 

Be aware that if mobile is the same as landline services the 14 days cancellation period starts when you sign up, not when you start using the service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

brianpeter
Dabbler

Ah yes, thanks for the reminder. Sign up was 4 days before I plugged in the sim. I've got a bit of leeway yet 😊

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

You say you used Facebook.  What about Facebook videos.  They usually auto play when you scroll on to them.  Even if you didn't sit and watch any, could you have left it on one for a while?

Having said that, my wife spent a week in hospital the other week, and had my ipad with a Plusnet SIM with 6gb data.  She watched a lot of Netflix, youtube and various other video services.  I don't know how much data she used or when its reset, but at most it would be less than 12gb over the week.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@brianpeter wrote:

Now I've had a taste of decent internet speeds I'm loathe to go back to BT's 1.3MB, and am edging towards EE's 160GB plan or even the 200GB for just £3 more, and forget the budget.

At some point, most people will go there. I've found as the speeds have gone up so, as a family, we've tended to do, watch far more than we ever did. Once 10Gb had to be enough@1.2mb/s, with monthly reminders about the cap on the account. 😞Then we went over to 80/20 unlimited 😋 and shortly rose to 1Tb a month  😲 . Now we've gone even faster (500mb/s) and I dread to think what our usage is now (watch a lot of things in 4K). Blow the budget! 😄

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
brianpeter
Dabbler

I have autoplay disabled. There might have been a couple of passing gifs but no videos playing. I was only having a quick catch up with a couple of pages anyway. 

Haven't been online much today, but I plan to do a lot of my usual sort of online activity tomorrow just to see what happens with the data. Hopefully yesterday will have been an anomaly, though I still can't think how. Nothing unusual in the internet history, and can't find anything significant in settings - first thing I did when I bought the laptop was go through it and disable everything on auto update etc. 

brianpeter
Dabbler

Thanks to everyone who responded. 

I spent some time online yesterday, a lot of general browsing, plus about 40 mins of Youtube vids (at 720) and at least a half hour Whatsapp video call. Way more online activity than on day one when almost 10GB of data disappeared, yet yesterday's activities used only 1.7GB. 

I'm still baffled. I know nothing is out of whack or surreptitiously downloading on the laptop. No other devices connected, and nearest neighbour out of wifi range, so I can see only 3 possibilities :

1.my phone, after failing to install a 2.7GB IOS update, just carried on re-downloading it a few times. I don't think so, I was outside much of the time out of wifi range. ( I have since discovered that Apple wont allow IOS update to be installed over cellular network.)

2. the new Huawei router was doing God-knows what as part of its new user set-up routine. Unlikely. It has the latest firmware, and auto update is off by default. Perhaps sending my browsing history back to its China HQ..... 🤔

3. something was awry with the usage meter at Plusnet. Seems unlikely ...?

At least I now know that 20GB of data isn't enough for a month of internet use, so I'll be going for a different deal elsewhere. EE is the only network available out here, so it's got to be BT or EE. 

On it goes. An interesting week so far....