Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0843 Scam Call - beware!!

FIXED
jpwilliams_com
Dabbler

0843 Scam Call - beware!!

I just saw a mail from plusnet saying the mobile account I have with them (with a £5 spend cap) has exceeded the pend cap.  The sim is in my elderly father's phone, which he doesn't use much. I checked the bill, and saw a 56 minute call placed today to  00448438774239, costing £41.62.  I'm just off the phone with him, and he said he never made any calls today, but there was a missed call on his phone over lunchtime, when he had visitors round. He said he'd left his phone charging for 3 or 4 hours round that time, so knows he didn't make any calls. 

A bit of googling shows this is an ongoing scam, article below is from 2016, but obviously still occurring. I'll be contacting support in the morning to try to get the call eliminated, and query why if there's a £5 cap, he managed to accumulate a £41.62 bill

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/missed-call-costs-you-300-7842961

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: 0843 Scam Call - beware!!

Fix

Sorry for the worry here. If you have a £5 smart cap then we won't charge you anymore than this in out of plan charges when your bill's generated, as we'd automatically add a credit to cover anything over the smart cap. 

I hope this helps! 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jpwilliams_com
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf 

Thanks, spoke to one of your colleagues who said the £5 cap would be applied, and since I was a long term broadband & mobile customer (prob 15+ years for bb) he'd waive the £5 bill.  Suggested it might be a rogue app making the outbound call. My dad has a pretty stock Android Galaxy A51, with very few apps installed, but I'll take a looksee for anything unknown next time I see him.  To prevent the issue happening again, the smart cap has been reduced to zero. Very impressed with your colleague's handling of the call Smiley

Thanks

John

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @jpwilliams_com,

Ah nice, cheers for the feedback and thanks for your loyalty! 

If there's ever anything else you'd need help with, feel free to let us know. Smiley

Cheers 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet