Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

texting using short code numbers ?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: texting using short code numbers ?

Wow then I can’t vote a celebrity (who I don’t know) off a reality TV show for around 50p a pop.

I would prefer not to have such a “service” and people who want to donate to charties still can.
bungle11

Couldn't agree more!! One of our grandchildren pressed a sub-window in youtube and accidentally signed up for a "service" to play games for £4.50 per week. The only way to unsubscribe was to send a short code (at a cost) within 24 hours. This wasn't possible with the contract. After 30 minutes of searching, I immediately emailed the "service" supplier who said that they would send my request to their technical team. After no response, apart from text reminders that the service had been subscribed to, I started my daily emails to them reminding them of the situation. No response. After a few weeks I escalated this to the PSA Comsumer Enquiry service and got a case number. But they have not responded after 8 months. To avoid any further hassle I have decided to let sleeping dogs lie.

Reading the sales blurb on the website, this "service" reckons to make the owner of anything that has their "press here" button a load of income.
This leads me to believe that some of these short code services are a scam, and if Plusnet allow them, then I would need an opt-out or if one wwas not provided, then I would find a mobile supplier who does have an opt-out (such as Three).

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

If it ever is introduced I would want an option to disable it.
It was a real selling point for me.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Me too.

I personally am not interested on who stays on a TV show - so I would never vote.

If you want to donate to charity, fair enough but I am sure you could just ring them and give them your card details? Ok, slighly more hassle but still.

Also I have been scammed from shortcodes (never used them). This was years ago - it was only something like £3 but that is the point. They assume people either won't notice you've been scammed or can't be bothered to complain for £3 if you did notice.

I did notice, and I complained and got my money back.

PlusNet not supporting them, and likewise not supporting chargable the receipt of text messages back would be a selling point for me.

I would disable it on my network if I could.