Did you mean: 

Unable to access 4G services whilst roaming

FIXED
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Unable to access 4G services whilst roaming

Thanks a lot for getting back to me, I've raised the issue with our back office team for you, it can take up to 5 working days for an update so please bear with me and I'll get back to you as soon as that comes through.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

5 days? A customer could well be back home by then leaving nothing for the back office team to look into. Is there no priority investigation / escalation for time sensitive issues?

It seems as though this is a recurrent issue which needs to be profiled. Elsewhere it has been stated that this needs to be done whilst the customer is in the location with no service. 5 days does not seem to support that imperative.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Coffeeking
Grafter

I'm currently in the Netherlands - I regularly visit for 3-4 weeks at a time. Initially my data speed was fine (4G) but on Sunday I noticed, when I set off on a drive towards Amersfoort, my data connection vanished despite showing as connected (E) on the mobile. I'd get spurts of data every 15 minutes or so - 2 emails - gone. 5 seconds of browsing....gone. In Amersfoort I had zero data througput - I couldn't even use google maps to navigate as it couldn't get a data connection.

As I made my way back west again, toward the coast, my data connection came back (near Rotterdam) and functioned as normal, 4G and high speed. As I wasn't busy, I turned around and went back toward Amersfoort and sure enough the data connection was lost despite showing full signal (E).

So I went back via the north (Amsterdam way) and again, the data speed/reliability only came back as I approached the coast.

Today, at the west coast, I have the same data problem I had in Amersfoort - bursts of data every 15 minutes or so.

I'm 5Gb into my allowance.

Genuinely pointless having it.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Coffeeking, in case you didn't see my reply to your other post then please feel free to PM me with your full name and mobile number and I'll look into this for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Coffeeking
Grafter

Have done, thanks!
Also just returned to the UK and I get 4G happily here. Clearly brexit export restrictions on data 😂
ljames28

@adamwalker I'm currently in Norway experiencing the same issue, only 2G despite 4G enabled on the phone. 3G is unavailable in Norway. I'm unable to PM as I'm a new user. Are you able to PM me? Thank you.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @ljames28

Try PM'ing again as you now should have the permission to. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tamarin64
Dabbler

Hi @adamwalker, since it’s been 5 days, have you received any updates? Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Really sorry for the delay, I've chased up with the right people in second line support.

As soon as we've got a response, we'll let you know. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey all,

My colleague in second line support has advised that the issue appears to be affecting iPhones, though not for everybody

Normally they'd need examples of the times you've tried to use the service abroad and for you to be away for at least 2 weeks to carry out an investigation on a singleton basis. However, as this appears to be an issue for many people, they can raise it as a multiple user problem, but would need the following info from around ~15 people. 

Account ref/mobile number:

Dates you were away:

Issue that occurred:

Make and model of handset:

Software version:

If you can drop me a PM with this information, I'll get a list going to send across to my colleague for further investigation. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jennie2710

Exactly the same issue every time I'm in Prague. Haven't been to any other EU countries since I moved to Plusnet (2 years ago) but I'm currently in Prague and every time I'm here both me and my partner can only access 2g. I have been fobbed off with the whole 'we can't control the network in other countries' excuse numerous times but this seems completely invalid when all other UK SIMs I've had have been absolutely fine. @Gandalf is there any update on a resolution?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

As per prior post - there is an identified issue related to iPhones. Please send the information requested by PM to @Gandalf

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Gandalf wrote:

Hey all,

My colleague in second line support has advised that the issue appears to be affecting iPhones, though not for everybody

Normally they'd need examples of the times you've tried to use the service abroad and for you to be away for at least 2 weeks to carry out an investigation on a singleton basis. However, as this appears to be an issue for many people, they can raise it as a multiple user problem, but would need the following info from around ~15 people. 

Account ref/mobile number:

Dates you were away:

Issue that occurred:

Make and model of handset:

Software version:

If you can drop me a PM with this information, I'll get a list going to send across to my colleague for further investigation. Smiley

Just to provide an update on this. As well as the above info, message me which network(s) you've tried roaming on.

It's also worth making sure data roaming is enabled. How to do this can vary from phone to phone, but for an iPhone running the latest iOS, you'd go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options. From there you'll have to make sure "Data Roaming" is toggled on and under the "Voice & Data" options, try selecting 4G. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf - does the original owning network of the mobile number have any bearing on the issues?

Note elsewhere reports of two people having similar phones - one gets roaming the other does not. Switch the SIM between the two phones and the issue follows the SIM.

mgp3m

Hi

My wife and I are experiencing the exact problem with data to our Android mobiles being virtually unusable as it is so slow. We have been in Germany since the 2nd May, returning to the UK at the end of the month. I have all the details you requested but as this is my first post and if I understand it correctly, I cannot message you with them until after this post. Fingers crossed!

Cheers