cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Cap charge - for no reason that I can see...! Any chance Plusnet can shed a light on this?

FIXED
MrBealzebub

Smart Cap charge - for no reason that I can see...! Any chance Plusnet can shed a light on this?

Despite having several hundred unused texts on my monthly bill, I have just sent a text and been charged, well, I have no idea how much or for what reason, and I'll be damned if I can find any way to contact plusnet other than waste time trying to get through to the contact centre. 

As far as I can tell my text, whilst being long (but no longer than others I've sent) had nothing in it that was out of the ordinary (the emojis were bog standard and not those stupidly large ones that you get charged for). I then received a text to say I had used 10% of my data cap. Checking my app this totals 33p, but on checking the data cap details it tells me I've used £1.20 of a £10 cap.

My questions are then if anyone from Plusnet is reading this: why do you know make it so difficult to contact you for answers to simple questions? Why have I been charged for a text when I have hundreds outstanding still to use? And just how much have been charged - 33p or £1.10???

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Smart Cap charge - for no reason that I can see...! Any chance Plusnet can shed a light on this?

If it's a premium charged text or an MMS then these aren't included in your allowance.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Orwell
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Smart Cap charge - for no reason that I can see...! Any chance Plusnet can shed a light on this?

Fix

Hi Mr Bealzebub,

Firstly, I am very sorry to note the inconvenience you have experienced.

For your perusal, I have included the link to our online terms and conditions: https://www.plus.net/help/legal/mobile-price-guide/#how-much-do-things-like-calls-texts-and-data-cos...

So that I can talk you through your existing service arrangement and explain how the T&Cs apply, I will require to A) locate your account and B) verify you in the interests of data security. As such, when you are next in a position to, please message me your full name and mobile number.

Best Wishes

- Ken

Ken Bryant
 Plusnet Help Team
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi

There is a limit on the number of characters in an SMS, phones convert long text messages into MMS 😞

To detremine the text length where an SMS converts to MMS google "long SMS sent as MMS" and your phone type.

Regards

Richard

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Some networks and phones use Concatenated SMS which splits a long message into multiples. I think about 160 characters is a maximum. I know one MVNO, to my knowledge, uses this.

Converting to a MMS can catch some out, as demonstrated here.

MrBealzebub

A big thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my query, and in particular to Ken for resolving the issuing for me.