Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need clarification on Short Code problem

FIXED
syorks55
Hooked

Need clarification on Short Code problem

Hello, would be grateful if someone could give me a quick update on the "short code" problem I am reading about.

I was just about to switch to Plusnet Mobile (my Broadband switch went amazingly well), but these short code problems have me worried, and I am not certain what it means.

I regularly get text messages from Banks, Doctors, Amazon etc wanting me to confirm log-ins or purchases. Is it these text messages people are talking about ? If not, are there any further implications ? Thanks in advance.

21 REPLIES 21
Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Need clarification on Short Code problem

Plusnet don't support short codes. If you rely on these for such as doctors and online banking, I would go elsewhere.
syorks55
Hooked

Thanks for clarifying @Shep41 - good job I read the forum first.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@syorks55 

I have had a bad exprience with reverse charged texts going back to my phone from shortcodes, costing me around 25p. Luckily I checked my bill and worked out I had approximately £1.50 per month scammed out of me. To cut a long story short I reported it. I had never used them.

Scam x number of customers £1.50 out of their phone bill. How many customers would notice? Nice little earner for a thief.

PlusNet not supporting them is a good thing, and there must be another way of contacting people whom you need to?

syorks55
Hooked

I don't fully understand the problem. I presume people can receive messages from banks etc, but not reply to them ? In the case of banks that may be ok, they usually text to tell me to use their app to confirm a payment, or with a code to log into their website. I'm more concerned about my GP - they have been a nightmare during Covid - the actual GP's aren't seeing anyone in person, receptionists aren't answering phones. The only way they seem to be communicating is via text, which I presume are short code texts, demanding patients go for blood tests or send in blood pressure readings, which need replying to. I came within one day of running out of my medication last month. That's a bit more of a worry. Understand your point though @Alex - no one wants scam texts. There seems to be various problems with whichever mobile provider people use. I'm leaving Virgin because the range of IP numbers they connect me through are banned globally, so I can't connect to certain websites or Apps. It's taken me every spare minute for three weeks to find the reason, and Virgin customer service seems non-existent. They are also switching from EE to O2, and there seems to be thousands of people having problems with getting new SIM cards activated. I'll probably go back to 3 mobile, was with them before Virgin and the only problem getting a decent deal after my contract was up.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix

There are no problems receiving shortcode messages. You just won't be able to reply/send to them. If you look at the originating number of a message and it's 6 (I think) digits long, rather than the usual mobile number format - then it's a shortcode.

Receiving messages containing one-off multi-factor codes for logging into websites etc. should not be a problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

syorks55
Hooked

Thanks for clarifying Bob. Funny thing is that non of the text messages on my phone (Android 10) actually give the number that I am presuming is a short code, and I can't find a way to view it. I've just got a list of messages that say for example, VirginMedia, Plusnet, Asda, NHS, Boots, Amazon, Halifax, Santander.

I'm going to sit on it for 2 weeks while I run out my Pac code, and then decide what looks best.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Looking at it, it's the same here running Android 11. Probably best to assume they are shortcode messages.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Alex
Community Veteran

Fair enough @syorks55 

I understand your position, and I didn't mean to come across as being rude in my earlier post. I apologise.

I didn't realise they are being used for more serious means now, rather than answering a question hosted by Ant and Dec (nice) for £3 a go.

I accept they are now.

There must be an alternative means of contacting them, I would have thought?

Having Grand Mal Epilepsy, I just walk into my local chemist and they just know me.

I will say no more about the fun and games that is.

syorks55
Hooked

Morning @Alex I didn't think there was anything rude about your message, you were helping me understand the situation. I certainly agree that it is better not to use Short Code messages than it is to get charged ridiculous amounts to use them.
My GPS have been a nightmare since early March. They are only concerned that they don't get Covid. Everyone in the area is complaining, and they get told to "register somewhere else if you don't like it". I had to go to a different area for a blood test before they would renew my prescription. 7am, queuing in the pouring rain at a flooded tent. Someone I know waited 4 and a half hours to get through on the phone yesterday, only to be told to go to a walk in centre seven miles away. While most of the NHS does an amazing job, others are a disgrace.
catshill1
Grafter

My Broadband supplier was surprised when I said My phone provider didn’t support short codes. Ironic when you consider my ISP is BT 😀

catshill1
Grafter

You will be able to receive messages from short text senders but you will not be able to reply to them or donate to charities etc that use them like Children in Need.

Alex
Community Veteran

Yep, I have never used short codes after the fun and games I've had with them.

Surely you can donate to charity or pay by card? I prefer using my debit card so it's out of my bank and I don't have to worry about getting a credit card bill x number of weeks later or it appearing on my mobile bill.

catshill1
Grafter

It was frustrating for me as I was unable to reply to a BT forum moderator who contacted me about an broadband issue I was having and I was unable to reply.
pjones10

It is time Plusnet caught up with the real world, short codes are required in everyday life and becoming more well used by businesses. When is this going to happen? or will it depend how many of us throw in the towel and take our business else where?