cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send message with Plusnet - Error 21 message

androidGB
Grafter

Can't send message with Plusnet - Error 21 message

Joined Plusnet a couple of months ago and no issue with texts, But of late it is refusing to send texts although is receiving them no problem. Checked the SMSC number and it's showing +447870002309 which is correct.

Tried phone with another Sin (3) and it worked fine.

So unless I can get this sorted pretty quickly it's probably easiest to just change providers.

Anyone had similar problems?

11 REPLIES 11
catshill1
Grafter

Re: Can't send message with Plusnet - Error 21 message

I have previously posted about this same issue. My workaround was to use the Google message app and set this as the default message app.

androidGB
Grafter

@catshill1 Thank you for the suggestion, would I be correct in thinking Google messaging requires wifi or mobile data? If so I really need a solution that utilises the cellular signal as I am sometimes in areas with no mobile data.

I was rather hoping that as this seems to be a Plusnet problem (due to it working fine with the 3 sim) there might be a Plusnet solution

Andrew

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@androidGB  is it only some texts that won't send e.g long ones or with emoticons ? If so , maybe they are being converted to MMS either the MMS APN isnt correct or you've hit the Smart cap and it wont send MMS which would be chargeable

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

catshill1
Grafter

No it doesn't require wifi or mobile data. It is just an alternative SMS app that I believe is the default one for Android Google phones. It just happens that my phone (OnePlus) provided a message ap that wasn't compatible with Plusnet.

catshill1
Grafter

No nothing to do with MMS or long messages. Any standard short text message didn't receive a confirmation of sent. We pay for a cheap mobile provider and we get the expected service I am afraid. 

androidGB
Grafter

@MisterW  Thanks for replying, no it's none of those things I was just trying to send a simple " This is a test" text. As I said it used to work fine, but suddenly refused to send any text.

Andrew

androidGB
Grafter

@catshill1 My phone is also a Oneplus. I've tried the Google app but I'm getting a message which says " Phone number .formatted incorrectly". It's the usual +44 no 0 , etc that has always worked in the past. So looks like I'm on my way to a new provider, I'm not a big user so It's not a big problem, I just like trying to work out why things don' t/stop working.

Thanks for your help

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@androidGB  trawling the internet there does appear to be a number of people with problems sending SMS on the OnePlus, and with different carriers. A bit strange that yours used to work and suddenly stopped. Have you checked the SMSC number as indicated in this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Unable-to-send-text-messages-on-my-Plusnet-mobile-SOLUTION/td-p... . There does seem to be confusion out there as to the need/purpose for the ,145 indicated in that thread so it might be worth trying with and without to see if it makes any difference

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

androidGB
Grafter

@MisterW  Thanks for trying to help.

I have tried it to put in the ,145 and whilst it accepts it and allows you to save it, it disappears when you check it. This is very strange as I tried as an experiment to input the EE SMSC no, and it happily saves this. I powered down the phone and it was still there when I switched it on. So my take is that it is not recognising the ,145 

Trying to see if I installed anything about the time the texts stopped sending

Andrew

androidGB
Grafter

Knowing that these pages are monitored I had hoped that maybe Plusnet would have offered a solution.

The lack of any advice I have taken to mean there is no solution.

Ironically I  received a text from Plusnet complaints dept following up on numerous problems I had with my broadband order, and I am unable to reply.

Consequently, I have requested a PAC code and am changing providers, now receiving a flood of text and emails to stay with Plusnet and making offers I won't be able to resist. 

A bit late for that, I'm afraid.

catshill1
Grafter

You could always try ringing Plusnet support. I rang a couple of weeks ago when I was unable to sent multimedia sms. The nice lady promised to ring me back.

She didn’t.