cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing gaming compatibility with the Thomson TG585v8 (XBOX,PS3,PC)

This article shows you how to increase compatibility between the Thomson TG585v8 router and some multiplayer internet games, specifically those on the XBOX and PS3.

For the Technicolor TG582n, these commands are not required and a setting called Game Mode can be enabled/disabled under the 'Game & Application Sharing' page.

If you are confronted with the error on your game that your connection NAT type is strict, then this will allow you to set it to open.
You will need to connect to the router via telnet.
If you have Windows 7 or Windows Vista then you will need to install the telnet application first.
To enable telnet go to control panel → programs and features→ turn windows features on and off, then tick the box next to telnet client and click OK. Windows will now spend a few minutes enabling this feature.
Enabling Telnet in Windows Vista and Windows 7
Once telnet is enabled you need to connect to the router.
Press the Windows Key (to the right of the Ctrl key) and R together.
In the run box that appears delete all the text and type telnet 192.168.1.254 and click OK.
You will now be asked for a username, enter your router username, this is usually admin.
You will now be asked for a password, enter your router password, this is usually the serial number and must be entered in capital letters.
You are now logged into the command line interface of the router.
Copy and paste the following commands into the window.
 :connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=69
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3074
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3478-3479
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=88
 saveall
 Assuming there were no errors, please restart your XBOX/PS3/PC, you should have no further problems with strict NAT.
178 Comments
178 Comments
CharlieB
Not applicable
I requested my router to be changed remotely Smiley Ticket number #49566554. thank youu.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Hi CharlieB,
I've done that for you now and confirmed by ticket and email.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Hi hughesg1,
I've done that now and confirmed it on your ticket.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
@ oscarpk2
Meant to say I did yours yesterday and left you comment on your ticket.
Jojo Smiley
tedmoo
btw to do this on a mac, just go to terminal and type telnet 192.168.1.254. no need for bloody windows.
Still have to reset router every timer I want to open NAT. Annoying!
chriskerry
Not applicable
How do i find my ticket number? Thanks! Cheesy
tazsizemore
Grafter
Hi Joanne
I followed the Telnet instructions above which after rebooting PC did turn NAT to OPEN in MW3 on PS3 but today alas its back to strict. Could you assist? Thanks!
hughesg1
Not applicable
I have the same problem
my nat has gone back to strict today
tazsizemore
Grafter
To add, I am not running any Torrents..
tazsizemore
Grafter
Is anyone from Plusnet still responding to this thread?
chriskerry
Not applicable
I've done this about 10 times in total now.. It goes to open on my PS3 but then within 1-2 days its back to strict again. This is getting stupid now. Surely I'm not supposed to keep doing this forever and a day?! Someone help please.
Thanks!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Hi guys,
There are a lot of people this has worked for but some of you that still seem to be having trouble. We'll look into it more but it would be handy to know what else you run, not necessarily at the same time but in general, and what other users may be using on your network.
Jojo Smiley
tazsizemore
Grafter
Hi Joanne
Today, it has returned to OPEN as NAT type on Modern Warfare 3..I have made no changes but will monitor it to see how long it stays like that but in the meantime if you could investigate the underlying root cause?
I can't see where the DMZ is located on this router, there is an area under FIREWALL that is restricted access - I would like to try adding the static IP PS3 to that as a workaround if possible?
Not running any torrents, FTP or anything that would affect bandwidth. Only user on my LAN. This only seemed to become an issue with the new router Plusnet sent me about 4 months ago.
Thomson Gateway

Information

Product Name: TG585 v8

Software Release: 8.2.7.7

Universal UPnP is Enabled.
Enhanced Security is Disabled.
Thanks
kayleightoomey
Not applicable
Hi Joanne.
We have problems with our NAT being strict. We tried the telnet method putting in the commands and this worked. However when we switched it off and tried the next day it was back to strict. Have tried telnet again but it isn't working. Then I tried manually opening the ports. It hasn't worked but Im not sure if i did this properly. Could you have a look as I'm at a loss what to do now and plusnet revert me back to here. Ticket num - #49924064
Thanks
tazsizemore
Grafter
I think someone needs to shine the Batman logo above their office Wink
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Hi Guys,
we've got another file that we think may stop it changing it all the time. So, if you've already installed it or I've updated your router let me know and I'll send you the new one. I should be able to do this on Monday.
Jojo Smiley
tazsizemore
Grafter
Hi Joanne
My NAT is still showing as OPEN currently but i'd like the new file to address is changing back to Strict if you havent already done it? Smiley
tedmoo
Joanne can you please provide me the 'file' to fix this problem? Still having reset the router after a couple of days to open NAT. Cheers
hughesg1
Not applicable
hi Joanne
please could you provide the file to fix the strict nat problem
thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Hi guys,
I can do this for you but I'd need to know your account. Maybe raise a ticket and give me the ticket number.
Jojo Smiley
tazsizemore
Grafter
Hi Joanne
Apologies, I thought I had 'raised the ticket' by reporting the issue here? Please let me know how to do that and I will do it for you now
Thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Hi
Click on this link
https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22966&wizard_id=38
Then type in the box:
FAO Joanne Pilson, Can you please remotely set up my Thomson router for game mode settings.
Then click "Send your question to the support team"
Jojo Smiley
tazsizemore
Grafter
I did that for you now..
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Hi tazsizemore,
That's done for you now.
Jojo Smiley
hughesg1
Not applicable
Done Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
HI hughesg1,
if you mean you've raised a ticket then you'd be better giving me the ticket number.
Jojo Smiley
hughesg1
Not applicable
lol sorry #50058879
rhodrhi
Not applicable
Hey Matt ! I have got the same problem as all the players and I have to reset my router after it changed back to strict ! It is so annoying !!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Hi rhodrhi,
Raise a ticket as per my previous post and let me know the ticket number. I'll sort it for you remotely.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Hi hughesg1,
I've done this for you now.
Jojo Smiley
mattturner
Grafter
Hi Everyone,
I'm sorry that the original solution didn't resolve the problem in the long term and some of you have had to turn your routers off and back on to get things working. Based on your feedback we've updated the guide and are confident that this is a long term solution. For those that have not run these commands before then please just follow the article above.
For those of you who've already run these commands you'll need to revert the settings, you'll need to run the following commands to do this:
:connection unbind application=CONE(UDP) port=55-66
:connection unbind application=CONE(UDP) port=68-499
:connection unbind application=CONE(UDP) port=501-5059
:connection unbind application=CONE(UDP) port=5061-7647
:connection unbind application=CONE(UDP) port=7649-27009
:connection unbind application=CONE(UDP) port=27012-65353
THE ABOVE ARE ONLY IF YOU RAN THE ORIGINAL COMMANDS (NOW REMOVED) AND HAVE FOUND NAT REVERTING TO STRICT
A quick summary to explain the changes; the original commands changed all ports to a fully non-symmetric NAT type (cone NAT), we suspect that the routers are unable to support this indefinitely due to the increased memory requirements. As more and more connections are established over time the NAT type changed from open to strict, and upon a reset of the router it reverts to open, followed by reverting to strict further down the line.
The updated commands only alter the ports used by XBOX/PS3 games and should therefore not affect the memory requirements significantly.

Please keep the feedback coming, both bad and good!
tazsizemore
Grafter
Well its been holding as Open for past several days, I think the real test would be if I reset the router and if it continues to hold but im afraid to hehe Smiley
mattturner
Grafter
Thanks Tazsizemore, I can guarantee that resetting the router won't remove the settings! Its good to know that this appears to be working.
Bobster
Not applicable
i've just raised a ticket 50362429 as i'm havin trouble with MW3 on my XBOX, bad times Sad
hope you can help
mattturner
Grafter
Hi Bobster,
I've updated your router now, let us know how you get on. Good luck with the fragging!
Matt
deebz
Not applicable
just raised a ticket 50401172, PS3 nat type strict ;(
mattturner
Grafter
Hi Deebz, I've just updated your router, can you let us know if this fixes your problem?
Matt
chriskerry
Not applicable
Matt.. How do i find my ticket number.. because I typed the new code you had provided .. but it still managed to find it's way back to strict after a couple of days. Thanks.
mattturner
Grafter
Hi Chris,
I can see the problem from this end, I've updated your router, please let me know how you get on.
Thanks,
Matt
johnp62
Not applicable
Hi Matt/Joanne
I have been trying the above with no joy.
Please could you do this remotley for me
I have raised a question my ticket No is 50516347
Many Thanks
John
TuffT
Not applicable
Hi Joanne and Matt
Please help. My settings have reverted back to strict after Joanne kindly set them to open, however when I raised another ticket explaining what had happened I was told you dont/cant forward ports remotely and was directed to here and "port forward" I have now tried Matts settings at the top and they dont work, I then tried the new settings from the 22nd of December and received error messages.
Port forward settings didnt work either. Have you any ideas?
Many Thanks
Tim
green6397
Not applicable
Hi Joanne,
I've raised a ticket - 50633364.I'd be really grateful if you could have a look when you get a minute please.
Thanks!
lottiec123
Not applicable
Hi Matt/Joanne
I have pasted the commands into the router interface, but still have a strict nat, i would really appriciate it if you could take a look.
Many thanks.
kinveachy
Not applicable
hi matt
applied the settings twice and rebooted the router but still getting stuck on strict nat. Any chance you could take a look at mine quickly as well?Huh
barryhayley
Not applicable
Hi Matt
I followed the initial instructions and had same issue of NAT returning to strict. I attempted the new commands but on trying the firsT I get a message "Failed to delete CONN binding".
Can you help please?
Cheers
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
HI green6397,
Noticed you closed the ticket, did you manage to do it or do you still need me to update it?
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Hi johnp62,
Looks like that's been done now. Is it ok?
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
HI lottiec123,
Have you a ticket number or something I can identify your account by?
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
HI kinveachy,
have you a ticket ID or something I can find your account with?
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Hi barryhayley,
We seem to be having some issues updating the v7. We're looking into that, so will let you know when we sort it.
Jojo Smiley