cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lost email? plusnet is on an email server blacklist !

windfarmer

lost email? plusnet is on an email server blacklist !

i read here, and on the email forum, about problems with emails not being delivered. i can shed some light on this because i too have had emails disappear without a trace. it is because plusnets email servers are on a black list operated by uce protect. apparently plusnet is sending out spam emails and have been reported and thus blacklisted. this makes a mockery of the new ironport system doesn't it?
plusnet will not do anything to remove this block ... except wait until 7 days after the last spam has been sent to see if the block is lifted! meanwhile us paying customers have to wait too. WHY? we are paying in full for a service that is not being provided in full. and who is to say that they wont get listed again? then we have to wait another 7 days!
if it is so great why cant the ironport system stop outgoing spam from plusnet customers? those caught sending it should be terminated and banned from every isp.
in the meantime can i ask that something is done instead of just sitting idly by and waiting? why cant we be allowed to relay email through another isp while the culprit is caught?  as usual the paying customer is stuck in the middle. remember the plusnet / uk2 forwarded email fiasco last year? i know many people who left plusnet over this alone. plusnet, please take note before you lose more customers.
13 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: lost email? plusnet is on an email server blacklist !

Are you sure PN is listed?
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: windfarmer
why cant we be allowed to relay email through another isp while the culprit is caught? 

Nobody is preventing you from doing this...
windfarmer

yes i am sure plusnet is listed. here are the bounce messages received:
relay.ptn-ipout02.plus.net[212.159.7.36] blocked using UCEProtect Level 1 - please see IP 212.159.7.36 is UCEPROTECT-Level 1 listed. See http://www.uceprotect.net/rblcheck.php?ipr=212.159.7.36'
relay.ptn-ipout01.plus.net[212.159.7.35] blocked using UCEProtect Level 1 - please see IP 212.159.7.35 is UCEPROTECT-Level 1 listed. See http://www.uceprotect.net/rblcheck.php?ipr=212.159.7.35'
also i have tried to send my mail through another server but i get the message "relay not allowed". do you know how to get around this?
Lurker
Grafter

You need to use a provider that will allow you to relay your mail when you are not connected directly to their network.
Typically you would use some form of authentication to allow you to connect to them.
Lets be clear though - Plusnet are not stopping you from connecting - the 'Relay not allowed' message is from the server you are trying to connect to.
itsme
Grafter

Yes them ones are blacklisted. I tested the relay servers fhw-relay01.plus.net to fhw-relay07.plus.net as these are the servers PN use to deliver their emails. Was not aware that Ironport are using different servers. Now will go away a see which servers I go through when I do use PN smtp servers as for 99% of emails send I use my own server.
Community Veteran

The UCEProtect site has to be the most retarded, unfriendly and pointless RBL I've ever come across - certainly in the context of ISP mail relays.
It seems like there have been 4 emails sent to spamtraps via that relay in the last 7 days.  A spamtrap is an email address specially set up to ONLY receive spam - the address is publicised in such a way that no 'normal' person would usually send email to it.
I think a total of 4 emails out of the millions that the Ironport relays are processing weekly is a very small proportion - and ofc it's not stated that those emails are actually spam - they could merely be genuine, but misadressed email sent by any one of Plusnet's customers.  In fact, it could be something as simple as the spamtrap address accidentally being included in a mailing list, for example.
In my opinion, the UCEprotect list should be used as a factor to score inbound email, and not as an outright block.  That's the fault of the receiving server admin for unadvisedly using the list inappropriately.
B.
windfarmer

barry, thanks for looking into this. is there nothing plusnet or us in the middle can do other than wait? what can be done if this keeps happening? i see that uce have a rapid block lift option if plusnet pays a release fee. is this company not a scam and an illegal way of extorting money from isps? seems a bit extreme otherwise to block an isp because of 4 emails. maybe i will setup a blacklist and add every isp that sends a single spam email, then i wont need the lottery!
itsme
Grafter

Is it 4 emails or 4 IP addresses from the block 212.159.0.0/19?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The trouble is some people send of scam reports to perfectly genuine e-mails that they dont want, instead of asking to be deleted from the mail list
itsme
Grafter

Just did a test to see which smtp server is being used when I relay through PN and found that it is indeed using relay.pcl-ipout01.plus.net [212.159.7.99] which is 1 of the 4 that's blacklisted by UCE see here either google is not using them or are using a weighting system.
Now of to check my spf records.
windfarmer

Angry i must say i am horrified to see from the link that itsme has given (http://www.blacklistalert.org/?q=212.159.7.99) just how many blacklists plusnet is on. this is just those covered by this site. how many more might there be?
even worse is the fact that some of these blacklists block isp's for 4 weeks at a time. i cannot believe that plusnet can let things go this far. they say they are fighting spam which has to be applauded, but they are obviously not fighting hard enough.
if anybody from plusnet is reading this, can you please let us know what you are doing about this unacceptable situation?
thanks.
itsme
Grafter

I believe that if you click on see why beside the listing you will find that they may have something in common. That they are in Germany and are powered by uceprotect.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@windfarmer, II think you are reading that list wrong, the total list is all tha available black listers, and the only one that has blacklisted PN is UCE who would like a fee to have it removed