cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my mail being marked as spam?

Listansus

Why is my mail being marked as spam?

Hi,
Well there's the question.  Why are some of my regular newsletters and info from business suppliers being marked as spam?  This is all very worrying.
For the first few days after ironport was installed I received very few emails, and now the usual spam is back with a vengeance and valid newsletters and client emails are being marked as spam.
I use something called mailwasher and this is excellent for filtering unwanted spam.  Over the past few days mailwasher has filtered hundreds of spam emails and I have received very few genuine ones....most of which ironport has noted as spam.
Do you know how irritating it is to have an in-box with a whole line of [SPAM] trailed down it next to my genuine emails!
By the way I'm a business user and this IS all very worrying.  If my genuine emails get spammed out then my business goes down the drain.
Look forward to comments,
Listansus
2 REPLIES
oliverb
Grafter

Re: Why is my mail being marked as spam?

One all too common reason is that often these newsletters are all too ready to add addresses without confirmation and their lists aren't purged sufficiently frequently.
As a result they get tainted by defunct addresses, bogus addresses and even spam-trap addresses. These damage the sender's reputation and in extreme cases may place flags and blocks on the sending IP.
As an example I found a bogus address on the mailing list of the "Sugar free allstars", their circulars kept turning up in my catch-all. Eventually I recieved a message saying they were changing their list manager and would I like to re-opt-in. Naturally I didn't, instead leaving a complaint that I believed the address had been "harvested".
jackoab
Grafter

Re: Why is my mail being marked as spam?

I receive a small amount of emails and have never had a problem with spam until the last few days when genuine mail I'm expecting failed to arrive, there were three almost identical, instructions on printing out badges to a trade show, one arrived as expected and two didn't, but I found them in my Spam Folder. What I can't understand is how one is OK and two aren't, any explanations?.