cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was there a problem with the old anti-spam system?

mzrider
Dabbler

Was there a problem with the old anti-spam system?

I know we all love to hate companies and systems and there was a one time problem a while back when a list of usernames was obtained by spammers, but was there really a problem with the old anti-spam system?  Was there really a need to change it?
As it was I only got maybe 1 spam email every 1 or 2 weeks so why was the system changed?  Will there be any new problems introduced by the new system?
10 REPLIES
avisoft
Grafter

Re: Was there a problem with the old anti-spam system?

You were VERY lucky then ... I got several hundred a DAY, and I thought I had been careful with my addresses!
But I have had the same addresses for over 11 years, and once they get out, the misuse spreads.
Ironport has so far removed all my spam ... I just hope that it does not remove stuff I wanted!
And yes, there will be some problems, I am sure, but as long as they can be resolved quickly it looks a much better solution than PostIni.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Quote from: mzrider
I know we all love to hate companies and systems and there was a one time problem a while back when a list of usernames was obtained by spammers, but was there really a problem with the old anti-spam system?  Was there really a need to change it?

We didn't need to change it but we're definitely of the opinion that IronPort is a better solution. When we moved to Postini we always said that we were looking at trialling alternatives, and IronPort is one of them.
Postini gave us an undesirable amount of false positives, the level of support we received often failed to meet our expectations and there we instances where unannounced changes at their side broke our spam filtering logic.
IronPort has better detection rates, the costs are comparable to Postini and we can use the IronPort boxes for outbound spam filtering. Because the new servers are based down in London, we make a saving on bandwidth too.
Will there be any new problems introduced by the new system?

With anything like this there's always going to be a hiccup or two, but I don't envisage any major issues.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Got to agree with Bob. Ironport is a marked improvement on Postini IMO. I monitor my friend's mailbox (with her permission of course) just to check that  there are no false positives in the spam folder. When we had the security breach she didn't want to change e-mail address so it has been a good test.
Looks as if I can now sign off because there is hardly any spam at all and certainly no messages that are marked incorrectly.
mzrider
Dabbler

AVISOFT:
It does look like I am lucky then.  I have had the same email address for about 7 years now, and just after the breach I did briefly get about 20 or 30 SPAMs per day, but now the rate is so low that I would class it as a zero problem.  You are right - I must be lucky.
BOB PULLEN:
Reading through your reply I now see the sense in the upgrade and I'm sure we will all benefit.
I do use Thunderbird's adaptive junk filter and every now and then along comes a new shape of SPAM email and I have to flag a few as SPAM.
One other thing I do is go "ape" when mates repeatedly send out my email address to others in jokey emails containing many receipients.  Each time that happens there is usually a brief spike of SPAM, so I "kindly ask them" to not include me in mass mailing lists.  I don't get many jokey emails but I also get very little SPAM - if there is a link here, it is worth it to me.  Just mention it in case it helps others.
N/A

I too am suspicious about the round robin e-mails for the same reason and friends appreciate this. However, it is a shame because some of them are quite good (and amusing). If I get them I don't usually forward them on but on the occasions that I do I use an alias and try to delete the list of previous recipients at the top.
ChrisL
Grafter

Wouldn't it help if we could get the senders of group emails to send To themselves and Bcc to everyone else?
Community Veteran

Best way to cure the round robins is to look down through the signatures and send them on the the CEO of the said company asking if they endorse this e-mail. Your (ex) friends soon get the message and stop including on their mailing lists. (And Birthday lists, Christmas lists Party lists, etc)
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: mzrider
One other thing I do is go "ape" when mates repeatedly send out my email address to others in jokey emails containing many receipients. 

Aye, it's damned annoying. I've got most of my senders educated now; the one I'm having the most trouble with is my wife's employer, the local libraries department, who really ought to know better.  Angry
I've found the best tool in the armoury is to send this link http://www.kitz.co.uk/tech/emailrant.htm to the offender. As usual, great info from the kitz site.  Smiley
Not young enough to know everything
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: chillypenguin
Best way to cure the round robins is to look down through the signatures and send them on the the CEO of the said company asking if they endorse this e-mail. Your (ex) friends soon get the message and stop including on their mailing lists. (And Birthday lists, Christmas lists Party lists, etc)

Not just before Xmas though, they normal give them the sack to cure the problem

This  message  may  contain  confidential and  privileged  information.
If you  are not the  intended recipient  you should not  disclose, copy
or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance
on its contents.  To do so is strictly  prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please  inform  the  sender that  this  message has  gone astray before
deleting it.  Thank you.

2008 marks the 60th anniversary of the NHS.  It's an opportunity to pay
tribute to the NHS staff and volunteers who help shape the service, and
celebrate their achievements.

If you work for the NHS  and  would like  an NHSmail  email account, go
to: www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.2/1783 - Release Date: 11/12/2008 10:01 AM

the person who sent this to me lives in Newcastle
Junior Buyer
Apollo Group
Conquest House
Church Street
Waltham Abbey
Essex
EN9 1DX
T  01992 786771 
F  01992 650999
E ***@theapollogroup.co.uk (email address removed - Jim the mod)
W www.theapollogroup.co.uk

The Apollo Group

Apollo Group Holdings Limited, registered in England and Wales, registered number 6329630, registered office Conquest House, Church Street, Waltham Abbey, Essex EN9 1DX

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended for the addressee only. If you have received this message in error or there are any problems, please notify the originator immediately. The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden. Internet communications are not secure and therefore Apollo Group Holdings Limited or any of its subsidiary companies; Apollo Property Services Group Limited and Apollo In Partnership Limited, does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Group.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

hows this for a recent one, changed names for numbers  where necessary
To: lulu@hotmail.co.uk>, SUSIE <sue@xxxxxxx.me.uk>,
  Margaret@talktalk.net>

----- Forwarded Message ----
To: 2@yahoo.co.uk; 3@googlemail.com; 4@btinternet.com
Sent: Friday, 14 November, 2008 8:45:54
Subject: Fwd: (no subject)

Something for the weekend girls - LOL

-----Inline Message Follows-----
-----Inline Message Follows-----
To: 6t@yahoo.com; 7@hotmail.co.uk; 8@aol.com; 9@hotmail.co.uk; mail@10.orangehome.co.uk; 11@hotmail.com; l12@clydeco.com; 13@msn.com; 14@btinternet.com; 15@blueyonder.co.uk; 16@blueyonder.co.uk;17@hotmail.co.uk; 18@hotmail.com
Subject: FW: A little smile on a very glum day :-(........ ;-) i enjiyed it
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 20:26:10 +0000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 05 November 2008 15:46
To: Dionne ; Debbie Bamborough; Cindy ; Krishna #; Beverley #; 19; Heather ; Bouchra ; Debbie ; Vivienne #r; ; Shelly ; Analiesa ; Beverley ; 20@ntlworld.com; Hannington, Gaynor; JOANNE; joan@21.newham.sch.uk; Patricia ; Marilyn ; 21@yahoo.co.uk
Subject: FW: A little smile on a very glum day :-(........ ;-)

Just thought you guys might need cheering up, certainly cheered me up.............hummmmmmmmmmmmmm
Sent: 05 November 2008 15:40
To: 23@hotmail.com; 24@gtuk.com; x x; Paula; 25@msn.com; Casey; 26@hotmail.com; 27@hotmail.com; megan_6699@hotmail.com; 28@hotmail.co.uk
Subject: FW: A little smile on a very glum day :-(........ ;-)
Sent: 05 November 2008 15:24
To: Julie; Janelle; Craig; Ryan, Gemma; Sancheevan; Ryan
Subject: FW: A little smile on a very glum day :-(
Sent: 05 November 2008 15:18
To: Kellie; Marie; White; Edgar; Richard
Subject: FW: A little smile on a very glum day :-(